Charcoal/Wood Flavor ????

John Furdyn

TVWBB Pro
If you cook with a water pan (indirect Heat), with out using any wood chips or chunks, will you still get a smokey flavor ? The reason I ask is yesterday I cooked a small Butt, and I thought it tasted great. I used just a skimpy hand full of hickory chips. some of my family members would prefer less smoked flavor. So I'm wondering about trying some ribs or maybe another Butt with out any wood chips or chuncks. I gotta believe the charcoal will impart some wood smoke taste after all its made from hardwood right ??? Any info appreciated.
Thanks
John

I've cooked before without adding any wood and the results are just fine. I used Poyal Oak lump and yes, that did impart some smokeness to the meat. I'm not sure what you'd get if you used briquettes, but I'm sure you wouldn't do any harm to the meat. Your cook would turn out fine, just little or no smoke taste - and for some, that's just fine.

I don't think you will get much flavor out of charcoal. Probobly will get some from lump, just not sure how much.

Why not consider an alternative idea. Hickory is a VERY strong wood. A handful of chips can be over powering especially on smaller cuts of meat. Before I got my wsm, I used only chips not knowing any better. I used about a 1/3 full sandwich bag and filled with water and let them soak while building the fire. Well I got some chips from work chiped up a couple of hickory trees. The chips were a lot smaller and got more mass. I almost threw them away. Actually today I wish I did throw them out. I can't hardly use hickory anymore.

I recomend getting something different, like Cherry, Apple, Oak(Jack Daniels). Another option is pellets. The Jack Daniels pellets are awesome. I bet you could really lay a lot of smoke down and still have the family members happy. You just need to use a milder smoke.

Charcoal briquettes will impart a flavor all their own into meat. To me its very subtle. I believe most people over smoke their meats. You don't need much smoke to impart flavor.

Next time you do a butt try some straight apple or some apple cherry mix. More apple to cherry.

Thanks for all your inputs. Next time I think I'l try either no smoke wood, or another flavor if you will. Happy smoking !!!
John

I did an experiment a long time ago. Two bullets, side by side. One with lump, one with Kingsford.
I cooked pork loins on each. The lump cook had no smoke. Tasted like it came out of my oven. The charcoal cook had a slight smoke ring and a subtle smoke flavor that was not unpleasant, but not something I would like a lot of. The use of some wood with the charcoal covers up the light flavor.

Back