Charcoal ring question/overnighter

Jason Robinson

When you guys say "full ring" in the wsm do you mean filling it up to the top of the ring(stacking up the fuel) or just covering the charcoal grate with fuel? I will be cooking about 30lbs of butts overnight and want to use the minion method I will be burning Royal oak lump..Any advice will be greatly appreciated!!

Full ring means as much as you can get in there-- usually 12-14 lbs. Some make a depression in the middle of the top and place the lit coals there; some spread the lit coals evenly over the top. I do the former, but it's personal preference.

Jason,
I go so far as to take the longer pieces of lump and insert them vetically around the perimeter to make an "extension" to the ring so even more charcoal can be loaded. Also, take your time loading the ring so that you get all of the lump to fit together as tight as possible. This will help extend the cook.
I have had good luck with the RO lump as well. Good luck on your cook.

I've used sand and water. My advice (and the advice of several on this board) is that sand is easier to use and clean up if you are only using the top grate. Some people, such as myself, have experienced radiating heat from the sand on meats placed on the bottom rack.

Clark is right on. You get it as full as possible and still be able to put the coals on top which means it can't really be heaping. You do want to "pack" the charcoal in. Pour a couple layers in at a time and get it adjusted so it fits tight. On a good day you can get 18+ hours out of a full ring.

With Royal Oak lump, be prepared to add more fuel.

It's a great product, but I don't think I ever got more than 12 hours or so. With 30 lbs of butt, maybe even less burn time.

If it were me, I'd start off with very little water and then add hot water later before I went to bed.

Best of luck.

Ps- packing the ring is critical, and RO is notorius for some very long pieces (I'd break em in half).

How's the Royal Oak briquet compare to new Kingsford. New Kingsford is all I've used. I saw the RO on sale the other week for just over $4 for 20lbs. bag at the local Mendards here in WI.

Thanks for all the advice this is a great website just like most of the bbq forums I have visited helpful,nice,ect..I should have pics of this cook...Thanks

Back