Charcoal only griller

The latest issue of Cook's Illustrated Magazine:

"We love the convenience of gas grills, but only the most powerful models can produce the same dark, crusty exterior on food as charcoal. Here’s why."

Unfortunately, you cannot read the rest of it unless you are a online member. It is clearly explained in easy to understand terms.

It also explains why some of us have differing experiences.

My personal experience, limited tho' it may be, agrees with their position.

Technique plays it's part also. There is a world of difference in taking six quarts of briquettes and spreading them evenly over the entire grill vs. piling all of them on one side. Piling a full chimney on one side will give you two or three layers of hot coals and move the fire closer to the cooking grille. The difference can be dramatic. Waiting until the fire gets really hot before starting to grill after dumping the coals can also make a serious difference.

Again, just a thought or two...

Dale53

I bought my first charcoal grill (26.75" kettle) last summer. Since then, it's pretty much the only grill I've used. However, I've fired up the gasser a couple of times to grill carne asada when I have a lot of it to cook. The extra real estate comes in handy. Besides that, I prefer to use charcoal if I have time.

Honestly I don't find gas grills too much quicker. Quicker to start yes but not quicker at overall cook time. I can light the chimney while I prep meat and not waist any time.

I did a large seafood cook at my in-laws this past weekend and was forced to use their gasser. They never cease to drive me crazy(gas grills that is). My biggest complaint with the gas grills I have cooked on is their erratic temperature zones. With my charcoal grills I get even cooking across the entire grid.I will gladly sacrifice a few extra minutes for better cooked and tasting food.

Wow, just reading through the posts, I was about to brag about the pork lion I did over the charcoal, but there are so many nice morsels posted here, I'm just going to tone it down for now. All I say, I got it hot before the rain came, power went out, cooked in the pouring rain, and I delivered a fantastic dinner by candlelight.

Where do I start?

With pictures!
icon_biggrin.gif

Dale53

Back