Charcoal only griller

Originally posted by timothy:
@ Walter.
I'm not trying to be argumentative but any gasser can only go as high as the BTU's that are speced for that unit. NG or LP.
Charcoal on the other hand can be stoked with the right amount of air to achieve much higher temps than gas.

Tim

Wikipedia tells me that briquettes are about 4600-4900 kcal/kg. Using the higher end of the range, Google converts that to 8800 BTU/lb.

One rating I found for a Genesis Silver B (as none is listed in my owners manual) is 12,000 BTU/hr for each burner or 36,000 BTU/hr total. You will need to burn 36,000/8,800 => 4 lb briquettes/hour to match that. Is that typical of what you burn? And that's burn completely down to ash. I'm not sure if that's possible. It's certainly not how I use my kettle but I'll grant that others may do so.

Originally posted by Ralph S:
Walter, try using the same thermometer. The "scale" or range on any grill is relative only to its own readings. On top of that, I've noticed that charcoal grills tend to have a wider range than has. Many thermometers can be changed simply by twisting or turning a part on the back. Others can change because the lots was dropped while you were lowering it.

Don't tell me how quickly your gasser pegs its thermometer. Tell me an accurate and repeatable temp it can attain, them tell me how stable and even it is the grilling surface. Low, Hot, Ideal doesn't cut it.

Same thermometer. It fits the lid on my kettle as well as both gassers. (Weber #9815.) I have cross checked it against my Maverick as well.

I have even used the same grate on my Silver A as well as the kettle.

DSC_3842-PP.JPG

The grill gets hotter quicker on the gasser than over charcoal.

Here's an indication of temperature distribution:

DSC_3851-PP.JPG

Biscuits have been flipped as they were white on top. Clearly it is hotter near the edges than in the middle, not surprising because that's where the two burners are located.

I think the other variable here that you're missing is that you can get much closer to the fire with charcoal. I can sear steaks an inch above 1,000 degree lump in my kettle. My Genesis can get quite hot in a much shorter period of time, but the heat is far less concentrated due to the array of flavorizer bars and the 6" gap between burner and grate.

I don't want to give up my gasser, but I really only use it for 3 reasons:

1- convenience.
2- extra space compared to my 18.5 kettle.
3- I have a rotisserie for it.

I don't know if my charcoal is different, or my propane is different, or my gas grill is different, but I have always been able to get my kettles way, WAY hotter than I could ever get the gas grill.

If I only had room for 1 grill it would be a Weber kettle. Since I have room for more, the side burner on the Genesis Gold D is convenient.

Originally posted by Kevin Walsh:
I don't know if my charcoal is different, or my propane is different, or my gas grill is different, but I have always been able to get my kettles way, WAY hotter than I could ever get the gas grill.
I wonder if the gas grill is different. Both of mine are about ten years old ('00 Silver A and '01 Silver B.) I see that newer grills sometimes include an extra sear burner and that hints that the heat they produce is not otherwise sufficient for proper searing. I also recall a comment in another thread that someone was looking for a grill that put out enough heat to use over the winter and I cannot imagine either of mine not being hot enough for winter use. If Weber has reduced the input on newer models, it would explain why many find their kettles hotter.

I have recently made the switch to charcoal only not by choice but by separation from my wife. I am happy with the Performer and WSM's at this point and do not intend to purchase a gasser anytime soon. I simply start up my charcoal as soon as I get home and then get changed and prep food. Like an earlier poster stated, the charcoal is usually ready before me.

http://www.amazon.com/Cooks-Il...868/ref=pd_rhf_p_t_2

Newer is not always better, but it is certainly worth a shot.
Dale53

I have this book, purchased at a local used bookstore and I like it. Cooks Illustrated can get a bit technical/wordy with their recipes but they do a good job of thinking them through, testing them out, explaining the rationale for their choices, etc. So far I've done the pork spareribs w/ their dry rub and basic BBQ sauce. After simmering my own sauce on the stovetop over a few hours I'm not going back to the generic bottled stuff. Most bottled just can't compare with the delicious blend of flavors the homemade sauce has and it's always good to know exactly what goes into it!

Weber OTG (smelling of hickory and caramelized pork/chicken fat) & Q100

I've never owned a gas grill so I don't know what I'm missing. I have a Texas Bar-B-Chef pit and a 18" WSM. I don't mind the extra work when it comes to cleanup and all that. I guess I'm just old school like that.

This is certainly an interesting discussion. I have a Performer and a very well used Spirit that is on it's last legs. Like others here, I definitely like the flavor profile that comes with using lump charcoal better than gas for most dishes most of the time. But the gas grill is a whole bunch easier to use for plank grilling and then the flavor profile from the plank adds that bit of magic. So like others have said, there are different ways to get the desired outcome and either can give great results. When I have a big crowd over, the gas grill is used for the veggies, or the hotdogs, or the sausages, or.... At the end of the day if I could only have one grill it would be the Performer, but it is awfully nice to have both. I will buy a Genesis gas grill when the time comes.

Well, I received my "new" book today ( the Cook's Illustrated Guide to Grilling And Barbecue).

I am not happy with it. First of all it is copyrighted at 2005. The information is just a bit dated (yeah, I know, we have been barbecuing for hundreds of years
icon_rolleyes.gif
). The technical tips are in a type so light you can hardly read it.

To be fair, the information is very good. However, I would NOT waste my money on this book, particularly, if you are like me, and already have the latest from Cook's (Cook's Country Best Grilling Recipes).

"Best" is a superior book. Latest findings on their tech tests, fully readable type, GREAT recipes, and all in all, a much better buy. Couple that with a spiral binding (lays flat on the counter) and you have a no brainer.

I will not return my book (I made my bed and I'll lie in it
icon_frown.gif
) but I won't be recommending it. I'll finish it because there is ALWAYS room to learn something else and the info is good.

FWIW
Dale53

Originally posted by Robert McGee:
Well, I received my "new" book today ( the Cook's Illustrated Guide to Grilling And Barbecue).

I am not happy with it.

Six years old for a cookbook doesn't seen that old when grills can last many years beyond that. But I will check out the Cook's Country book you list.

Cook's Illustated/America's Test Kitchen/Cook's Country are famous for recycling content so one may want to think twice before loading up on books from the same publisher.

The deciding factor for me was the price (used for $9 or so) and that ATK/CI offers a different perspective than the Steve Raichlen book which got me going.

Daniel S;
My biggest complaint is that I have difficulty reading it. The tech tips are written in such light type that it is difficult to read.

As I stated before, the information is good. It's just nice if a feller could read it without a decoder kit...
icon_frown.gif

Dale53

Originally posted by Hank B:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ralph S:
I know there are people claiming you can get hotter with gas, but that happens only in concentrated areas under ideal circumstances.

I'm surprised this is even up for discussion. Both of my gassers will go to full scale on the thermometer in about ten minutes. I've never seen temperature that high with charcoal. And having used both, I can assure that the gassers do get hotter except for perhaps sitting a grate on top of a charcoal chimney. (Kind of the "concentrated areas under ideal circumstances" you reference.)

Further in an industrial setting, solid fuels are ground to a powder to provide effective mixing with air in order to generate high flame temperature (e.g. coal fired boilers.) No such techniques are required with gas. And powdering the solid fuel is simply not used in a home grill.

In short, I do not agree with your claim. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Charcoals (other than kingsford) can, and will get considerably hotter than most LP grills on the market.

Most decent gas grills will push 600, maybe 700.
A hot and ready chimney of charcoal an easy 700.
If you use lump, and treat it right, you can hit 1000 without stoking.

Gas grills have their place. And that place is apartments with balconies and rules against charcoal. :p

Totally agree with the turkey fryer, wok, eggs and hashbrowns not caring where the heat comes from
icon_smile.gif

TOTALLY disagree that there's no flavor change from charcoal. The statement/reasoning that charcoal is used to filter smells, water, etc isn't a valid argument.

Soooooo...What did you get Brian?
icon_smile.gif

Also, this is a good link for the BBQ books. I have the top 5 books and very good reads.

Originally posted by TroyRedington:
Most decent gas grills will push 600, maybe 700.
A hot and ready chimney of charcoal an easy 700.
If you use lump, and treat it right, you can hit 1000 without stoking.
I'm going to reverse my position on this. I just did a quick search on gas vs. charcoal and every article I found stated that charcoal is hotter. That my experience differs can only mean that I am not building hot charcoal fires. And to be honest, when I'm using charcoal my goal is usually a slower cook.

The comments about books on barbecuing have me intrigued. I'm going to have to do a search on that to see if there are any threads that explore this more thoroughly.

best,
hank

I find this thread interesting.

However, one thing stands out (to me, at least). I have been a competitive shooter (rifle, pistol, and shotgun) for many years). One thing in common between the shooting sports and barbecuing "sports" is that there seems to be a tendency, in both sports, to want to "buy a win".

In shooting, nothing is more important than "trigger time". In barbecuing nothing is more important than "cooking time".

In barbecuing, as well as grilling, these forums have allowed us to many times jump ahead of the learning curve (and I, for one, am truly grateful) but we still need to actually try the tips and buying more and more gadgets is not necessarily the path the greatness). Listening, reading, and application ARE the path to success.

(Keep in mind, that this comes from a guy who has to FORCE himself not to buy every gadget that hits his consciousness
icon_biggrin.gif
).

Just a thought or two...

I have had excellent meals IN EVERY REGARD from both gas and charcoal. The CHEF made the difference...

Dale53

Originally posted by Hank B:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by timothy:
@ Walter.
I'm not trying to be argumentative but any gasser can only go as high as the BTU's that are speced for that unit. NG or LP.
Charcoal on the other hand can be stoked with the right amount of air to achieve much higher temps than gas.

Tim

Wikipedia tells me that briquettes are about 4600-4900 kcal/kg. Using the higher end of the range, Google converts that to 8800 BTU/lb.

One rating I found for a Genesis Silver B (as none is listed in my owners manual) is 12,000 BTU/hr for each burner or 36,000 BTU/hr total. You will need to burn 36,000/8,800 => 4 lb briquettes/hour to match that. Is that typical of what you burn? And that's burn completely down to ash. I'm not sure if that's possible. It's certainly not how I use my kettle but I'll grant that others may do so. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well okay..
Color me confused cause me and Ralph both responded to Walter from Winfield IL.
Did you change your sign in name? If so I will edit my post with your new name so as not to confuse any one just jumping in on this thread.

Tim

Originally posted by timothy:

Well okay..
Color me confused cause me and Ralph both responded to Walter from Winfield IL.
Did you change your sign in name? If so I will edit my post with your new name so as not to confuse any one just jumping in on this thread.

Tim
Yes. I didn't notice the requirement for a real name when I registered and registered with an alias (which I found surprisingly hard to maintain!) I have since asked Chris A. to switch my account to my real name.

thanks,
hank (Formerly Walt.
icon_wink.gif
)

Back