Charcoal Grate Mods

Van DeWald

TVWBB Fan
When doing the charcoal grate mod, (adding an extra grate 90 degrees crosswise to prevent charcoal from dropping through), do you need to attach the charcoal ring to the two grates, or do you just leave the ring loose? Thanks for any tips.

Attaching all three together makes it easier to grab the ring and shake out ash and any small spent pieces of coal. I used some leftover Re-bar tie wire.

Tim

I believe I have seen folks use heavy duty zip-ties to hold all three together. Seems to work fine.

23vxax0.jpg

I'll 2nd the stainless steel hose clamps. $1.50 a pair and 5min of time made for a great mod that simplified clean up.

I used the stainless steel zip ties to attach the charcoal ring to the grate, that is pretty much the only mod I made.

Ok sorry, I missed the main point of your question but I think this will still work for you with slightly longer hardware. I used 1" pipe clamps bolted to the grate with SS hardware. They allow the charcoal ring to move slightly side to side which seems to help sift the ash off the remaining briquettes.
100_0402.jpg

100_0400.jpg

Last edited:
No pic, but I bought a couple 2" (or 3") square u bolts, and used those to hold the expanded metal (instead of a 2nd charcoal grate) to the charcoal grate. I played just a little with the placement of the square u bolts so they were even on each side, and hold the ring in place. BUT, I can easily remove the ring if/ when needed. Similar to what Terry did with the eye bolts.

In looking at Leo's mods, just like his u bolts, but I placed them as far out as the ring would allow.

Last edited:
Can I find stainless steel wire that's not treated with anything so it's food safe? I'm skeptical that the rebar wire is galvanized or coated. I'm thinking of just using wire to line the grate.

Thanks everyone just did a grate mod for $16.27 rebar ties and 1 1/2 by 8 eye bolt two washers and a new grate. Saved $1.67 with my Veterans discount at Home Depot.

Thanks Again Everyone

Back