charcoal grate gaps

Cesar

TVWBB Fan
I used my wsm yesterday for the first time and it went great. What worried me is Ive read somewhere not to put lit charcoal directly on the charcoal bowl because it can ruin the porcelain coating, but yesterday when I poured the charcoal form the chimney starter I think I saw one fall below. Should I be worried?

I have a pair of old tongs that when coals fall between the charcoal ring and the bowl, I grab them and put them back on the pile. If I missed one or even all of them, I wouldn't worry at all.

Also note the charcoal ring is coated with the same porcelain enamel as the rest of the WSM, and it holds up remarkably well to more than a few burning coals.

Get yourself a cooking grate for a Smokey Joe and place on top of WSM charcoal grate. Run the grate rails perpendicular. Really helps keep the small pieces from falling through.

I used the grate out of an ECB to criss-cross with my charcoal grate - then I wired those to to the charcoal ring.

makes life just a little easier

I just wadded up two hanks of aluminum foil to block the gap on each side of the charcoal grate. It's worked well enough for 3 seasons.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim W.:
I just wadded up two hanks of aluminum foil to block the gap on each side of the charcoal grate. It's worked well enough for 3 seasons. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That sounds like quick fix. till I can get another grate at least but a Maverick et-73 is next on my list of purchases.

Thanks again.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim W.:
I just wadded up two hanks of aluminum foil to block the gap on each side of the charcoal grate. It's worked well enough for 3 seasons. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I had some light-gauge, uncoated steel wire so I used it to fill the gaps, kinda like weaving a spider web (but no self-respecting spider would have done as messy a job as I did).

Back