charcoal falls through grate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penoose

Often, the Kingsford charcoal briquettes fall through my grate when I dump them from the chimney. The ring is in place, of course, but there is just enough space at the edges for a briquette to fall through. Has anyone else experienced this? I don't think it's a serious problem...just curious...

P.j.

A known shortcoming of the WSM charcoal grate. If you go to Home Depot and get a charcoal grate for a Weber kettle-- the one that measures 13.5" in diameter-- and place it oriented at 90° to the WSM grate, it will keep that from happening and also keep smaller pieces from falling thru in the latter stages of a cook.

What Doug says to do will work, but it will also cut down on the air flow and may cause you to have to stir the coals sooner (or more often). Especially with Kingsford, the ash will restrict air flow when using two grates. As you indicated in another post, stiring the coals (even a little) tends to cause ash to float up and get on the food.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jerry N.:
[qb] What Doug says to do will work, but it will also cut down on the air flow and may cause you to have to stir the coals sooner (or more often). [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I have never found this to be the case in practice. Sufficient air flows thru the large perforations in the charcoal ring in addition to that from under the grate. If you notice, the vents in the bowl are actually above the grate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back