Charcoal - Anybody got a Commercial Connection?

Ron G.

TVWBB Wizard
Stopped by at one of my favorite local establishments to pick-up some of their chicken-enchilade soup & a loaf of warm bread.

Anyway, they do rotiserie chicken over charcoal - and had bags of charcoal piled in their "lobby" area (to use as makeshift seating?)

The bags were nice big 20-lb bags of Royal Oak natural lump - and were apparently bagged for Sysco (a commercial food service distributor, in case you did not already know that). I could not see if it was the US-made, or some other variety of R.O. lump - but it peaked my curiosity....

This got me to thinking - anybody out there with a commercial connection using Sysco? If "yes", any chance of finding out a ballpark figure to get a few bags (do you need to buy by the pallet?)? My brother works in food service, and the place he works at does not mind if he tacks a few items on the order - as long as they are reimbursed at their cost.

Or, am I still better-off to stick with Wally World?

You can't pay me to shop at Walmart so my answer would reflect that but Sysco is often pissy about who they sell to--commercial only, so you would need a commercial connection. However, I would suggest calling restaurant supply houses other than the big guys. Many will sell to consumers directly (including meats, groceries, etc.). You'd also be more likely to find one with better lump than Royal Oak. It's serviceable but nothing to write home about.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
You'd also be more likely to find one with better lump than Royal Oak. It's serviceable but nothing to write home about. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, but if the only alternative is briquettes, RO starts to look pretty good.
icon_biggrin.gif

I second the suggestion about calling other restaurant supply houses. I have one locally that is open to the public, and while the only lump they have is Nature-Glo (the food service variety of Royal Oak), it works fine for me and it is always in stock.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Yeah, but if the only alternative is briquettes, RO starts to look pretty good. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
True. But I know few supply houses that carry briquettes at all.

Larry D.

How's the price compare to what you would pay at a regular store for the lump ? Much of a discount ? Thanks

I posted previous here:

http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3780069052/m...060087275#6060087275

There is most likely a restaurant supply in your area that "ought" to have hardwood charcoal briquettes and/or lump.

In my area I found a restaurant supply that has 20lb bags of RO Lump for $10 a bag normal and does sales at $8-9.

As for me - I buy my lump from a distributor (feed mill) and consistently buy 20lb bags of lump at a median price of $10 instead of the $20 retail in my immediate area

Check out your feed mills and restaurant supplies as a possible source.

Yeah - I have been using lump only for a number of years. It's key to find a wholesaler or regular supply that can give you a break. Otherwise you're stuck with paying around $1 a pound it seems. I've been buying Humphrey Lump for about 5 years or so now. I can source it from about 3 wholesalers, all feed mill types or garden supply businesses. Definitely worth the research.

I'm a lump bigot though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Furdyn:
Larry D.

How's the price compare to what you would pay at a regular store for the lump ? Much of a discount ? Thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The price has been jumping around lately. For a long time it was about $8.75 for a 20-lb bag. Then it jumped up to $11+. The last bag I got was about $9.50. It still seems to be a little better than I've seen in normal retail stores.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Yeah, but if the only alternative is briquettes, RO starts to look pretty good. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
True. But I know few supply houses that carry briquettes at all. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The one I get my lump from also carries Nature-Glo briquettes. So I have an alternative to Kingsford if I choose to go the briquette route (which I haven't done in a couple of years).

Ron, I buy a few items from Sysco occassionally, but as you pointed out, you need a commercial connection. Their lump was an item I purchased about 1 year ago. I have a good friend who is a district sales manager and there's an 'account' set up for some of 'the gang' to pay cash and pick up from the will-call window. You can buy a single bag at a time, but you don't save any $$$. Sysco is generally higher than a typical retail outlet as you paying for a convenience factor that includes delivery (for most establishments).

They do offer an extensive catalog of both food and food industry items which can be intersting to browse. However for many of their food items you are purchasing by the case or some other large quantity that is not practical for a home cook.

I saw a Sysco open to the public about a month ago. I was at a different BJs location than my normal, and there is a Sysco directly across the parking lot from them. They had a big sign that said open to the public. I didn't even bother going in, but maybe it's worth checking out.

Todd

There is a butcher / meat processor not to far away from me that sells Nature's Glo lump. 40 pound bags for $17.95 to $19.95 depending on the time of year.

I don't believe I've ever saw Nature's Glo briquettes. I have bought RO briquettes on occasion.

Just last week I bought a couple of 20 pound bags of American made Royal Oak lump at Restaurant Depot for under 9 bucks a bag.

Bill

Back