Charbroil Cast Iron Kettle Grate Report

The FedEx guy dropped off a Charbroil CI grate today.
Most important thing: They dont fit Smokey Joes. See pic below.

Box
IMG_0474.jpg

The cast iron is a little on the thin side, but the price was right.
IMG_0477.jpg

With the center section out, a chimney easily fits inside.
IMG_0475.jpg

With center section.
IMG_0478.jpg

The center section is about 1/2" too small in diameter to fit in my SJP.
IMG_0479.jpg

Slides down inside SJP.
IMG_0480.jpg

I cut the handles off the SJP grate and the CI lays on top. I think this is how I will use it with the SJP.
IMG_0482.jpg

I sprayed it with Pam and heated everything up. The grill marks were much more dramatic and there was more nice crust. Overall, I think I'm happy with the purchase, and I'm sure I will learn some of the tricks with CI.

IMG_0483.jpg

IMG_0485.jpg

IMG_0486.jpg

The stuff I don't like
1. The center section does not fit the SJP like I hoped. What do I expect? It was cheap.
2. The CI seems a little thin. This probably is not a big deal and I'll forget about it. Plus the thing was cheap.
3. The grates seem kinda far apart. I think I would a tighter pattern would be better for marking and charring the meat. But I've only used it once…and it was cheap.

Thanks for the review, Chris. Glad you're happy with it. Too bad about the SJP. When I saw your original post on this, I got pretty fired up about that. Still a very worthwhile purchase at that price though.

Its for 22.5 kettles (fits great on my Performer), and the center section is supposed to fit 18.5"kettles (too small for SJ, but fine if you cut the handles off the grate).

Is the Smokey Platinum the same size as a regular 18.5 Kettle? Not only do they make this CI grate at a good price, but I see there's also a griddle and a pizza stone.

Originally posted by Jon Des.:
Is the Smokey Platinum the same size as a regular 18.5 Kettle?
No it is not. For some reason the SJP grate is bigger than the 18.5" grate. What you can do is drill 3 holes in the ridge that holds the grate and put in one inch long stainless bolts and rest your grate on them.

Its been about a year, and I'm happy with these grates. The original stuff I reported that I didnt like has turned out to be no big deal.
The biggest gripe I have is removing the center section to access the coal grate. I keep an old pair of pliers by the bbq to lift it out.

Russell, to my eyes, that IS the insert. The grate is a 22.5 inch CI ring with an 18 in inch insert that goes inside it. It looks like they may have stopped selling the 22.5 ring.

SH

Back