Char-Griller Kamado Kooker

I was considering buying one a while back, because I like the price and I like that it's steel. I hear they have an issue with the bottom ash tray that slides out not fitting snug. Some people add a gasket to it that seems to fix the proble. Otherwise the coals won't go out and you will have trouble controlling temps. I wouldn't mind having one though. These problems might also be resolved by now.

I have looked at the Chargriller kamado closely at Lowes. The removeable ash pan clamps on snugly (doesn't slide) and appears to seal very well. It has a good quality cast iron grate with a removeable center.

It did not say Weber on the nameplate
icon_wink.gif

I have the Broil King Keg which is also a "steel kamado". They have oven insulation sandwiched between two layers of steel, so they have pretty much equal thermal retention as a ceramic, but at much less weight and greater durability.

I have tried to find specs on this thing, but have had no luck. What is the diameter of the cooking grate?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Larry Corall:
Menards has one also. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The one at Menards is on sale right now for $249 and it's RED. Not that being RED would matter to anyone here.
icon_wink.gif

When my WSM wears out I might try a ceramic or keg smoker. There should be a lot of them in yard sales and on Craigs list by then! Relatives have tried other "cheaper" grills before and they dont last like weber products.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Shaun R:
I was considering buying one a while back, because I like the price and I like that it's steel. I hear they have an issue with the bottom ash tray that slides out not fitting snug. Some people add a gasket to it that seems to fix the proble. Otherwise the coals won't go out and you will have trouble controlling temps. I wouldn't mind having one though. These problems might also be resolved by now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was at lowes yesterday and saw these in stock. I took a really good look at it and it looks well built. It comes with a CI grate, and an upper swinging grate. I notice they have also fixed the bottom ash pan by adding a gasket. I think the price is worth giving it a shot if you want a kamado style cooker. I would rather have steel than ceramic anyways and it's way cheaper. Just make sure you get the black, I heard the red fades to pink. Or just keep it out of the sun and covered.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Setzler:
I'm very happy so far with my purchase of this Kamado from Lowes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Great job on the vids. I would definitely get one if I didn't have a ceramic already.

Welcome to the forum John. I watched all 4 of your videos, very nice job and review. I showed my wife one of these grills (akorn)at Lowes and even she was impressed now all I have to do is convince her to let me get one,I think it's the missing piece I need to cover all my grill needs

I bought one this past weekend. While I haven't smoked any ribs, or shoulder. I have to say it's a pretty good cooker so far.

It supposedly holds temps for 24 hrs plus according to a guy who did a test to see how long it would hold temp.

I needed a little extra capacity for grilling and smoking on certain occasions. I thought hard about the Char-Grill kamado. Saw it at Lowe's and had read some good reviews. Price was much better than other kamado and I really wasn't looking for something to replace my OTG and WSM.

I went a different route. Got an OTS and added a pitmaster iq 110 for less money than the kamado. I haven't tried the new set up but I liked the idea of the controller for low temps. I have a digi on my WSM and really like it.

I've had my Char-Griller Akorn for a couple of weeks now and it's handled everything from low-n-slow Boston butt to high heat ribeyes and everything in between, including grilled quail and fish and baked cornbread. Even my wife is glad I added it to the lineup of outside cookers.

Pretty cool to cook steaks in less than 5 mins on the CG kamado. 750-800 degrees
icon_biggrin.gif

I guess you could also do this on a kettle as well, but haven't tried it at these temps.

Back