Char basket vs. fire bricks?

Matt Sanders

TVWBB Pro
I got a Performer early summer, and have been loving it. Most of my grilling involves at least some time cooking offset. I fill a single char basket with lump and set it off on the far side (where I can also raise the hinged grate and drop wood chips. I even do 6 hours of churck roast this way. The baskets seem practically made for lump (which tend to fall through the grates otherwise).

But I've noticed a lot of people use firebricks, especially when cooking low and slow on the kettle. Is there any advantage of the fire bricks over the char baskets, besides capacity?

I think the firebricks do a better job of keeping the heat off to one side, where baskets allow more heat towards whatever you are cooking.

the bricks allow you to adjust what capacity you want but also retain heat to help with temp control. but if the baskets work then use them.

Thanks for the feedback. It makes sense that the bricks would act as a bit of a heat sink. The kettle is remarkably responsive with the vents though, and I generally don't have any trouble hitting the temps I want.

Adjusting capacity might come in more handy though. It seems I'd need a second charcoal grate, however, turned 90 degrees, to keep the smaller lump from falling through.

I made a basket, which is bigger than the stock Weber ones, out of expanded metal and use it with fire bricks. I was worried about damaging the bowl over time by banking the coals.

I like them both. If I'm grilling or cooking something indirect that takes less than an hour or two, I'll usually use the baskets because I can start them with the performer and move them. If I'm doing ribs, I will use the char baskets typically just because they are usually already in the grill. I just turn them around backwards and use them as a barrier because I get hold more fuel that way.

If I'm doing an overnighter (I do all my smoking in the kettle) I'll use the bricks because I can get up to 15-18 hours of smoke time with the bricks without refueling (I REALLY stuff it in there).

Thanks for the replies. I didn't realize that about banking the coals. That's a bigger concern for me that fuel capacity. I think for now I'll stick with the baskets, as I generally do the looong cooks on the WSM, and don't mind dumping more charcoal in mid cook on the Performer.

I like the baskets a lot. Lately, I've been using them like Matt; I put them where I DON'T want coals. They make very good barriers while still allowing airflow.

Stan

Thanks Noe and George for the comments about coal banking and damage to the bowl. I haven't noticed this, but I don't do it too often and rarely at high temps.

I do much of my cooking indirect. I bank the coals when doing indirect.

I also bank the coals when doing direct. It's nice having a "cooler" spot to go to and banking puts the coals closer to the meat grill giving higher temperatures for searing.

If the grill burns out then I'll just have to take that up with Weber (or not). At any rate, I bought the Weber for using not to put in a museum and use it I will.

FWIW
Dale53

Originally posted by Robert McGee:
I do much of my cooking indirect. I bank the coals when doing indirect.

I also bank the coals when doing direct. It's nice having a "cooler" spot to go to and banking puts the coals closer to the meat grill giving higher temperatures for searing.

If the grill burns out then I'll just have to take that up with Weber (or not). At any rate, I bought the Weber for using not to put in a museum and use it I will.

FWIW
Dale53

^^^^x's 2 ^^^^

Matt, your profile pic is the funniest on this board.
I just noticed it and couldn't stop laughing.

Matt,

Let me second how awesome your avatar pic is.

I don't have the baskets, but I do have the rails. They're nice, but I rarely use them. Firebricks are a little more versatile since I can use them to create hot or cold areas of different sizes for different purposes.

Thanks, guys.
icon_smile.gif

I've been using the same weber kettle for the last 15 years. I've never used baskets, rails or bricks. I bank the coals whether I'm grilling direct or indirect. I've never seen any detrimental effect on the kettle bowl or lid.

Not saying it couldn't happen, just that I haven't experienced it.

By the way, I'd love to get a performer (and would love to use the baskets) but I just can't justify it since my kettle won't give up the ghost. I have had to replace the lid handle (which came off in my hand with pork chops on the grill and no gloves handy), but that's the only maintenance in 15 years.

Peter

Lately I've been cooking with a modified version of steven raichlin's 3 zone cooking. Using one fire brick and banking coals high behind it then letting them sort of spill over thinning out. So I have a searing zone, a direct heat zone, and a indirect or cool zone. And I usually lay out a piece of wide foil under the indirect zone to keep the grill clean. Works good for me.

Back