Cedar Plank Sea Trout

Bob Porter

TVWBB Member
I've been looking to expand my repertoire with the grills although I had no plan to do so today. I just got a desire for seafood and decided to see how cedar planks work.

I picked up everything I needed. I was looking for salmon when I spotted a nice sea trout fillet. I changed course and went simple: a little olive oil, Kosher salt, cracked pepper, fresh dill and tarragon, and lemon slices. I also tossed a couple sweet potatoes and an Idaho on the OTG b4 the trout.

Awesome! I very much enjoyed the smokiness of the trout. This is easy to prepare and enjoyable to eat.

I thank all those who have posted about using cedar planks as I have read many of those threads recently.

trout.jpg

Everything I have read said to scrub well. I did that. I think the plank could be used again. I am not certain it will go three times. I am also not certain I would put anything other than fish on this plank.

Hey Bob - looks great! You've given me incentive to dig those planks out of the basement and give it a try.

Originally posted by Bob Porter:
I've been looking to expand my repertoire with the grills although I had no plan to do so today. I just got a desire for seafood and decided to see how cedar planks work.

I picked up everything I needed. I was looking for salmon when I spotted a nice sea trout fillet. I changed course and went simple: a little olive oil, Kosher salt, cracked pepper, fresh dill and tarragon, and lemon slices. I also tossed a couple sweet potatoes and an Idaho on the OTG b4 the trout.

Awesome! I very much enjoyed the smokiness of the trout. This is easy to prepare and enjoyable to eat.

I thank all those who have posted about using cedar planks as I have read many of those threads recently.

trout.jpg

can you describe the method you used? How hot? How long? Any other smoke woods? Thanks!

Originally posted by Chad Harwick:
can you describe the method you used? How hot? How long? Any other smoke woods? Thanks!
Sorry, I've been off the board for a few days.

I set up the OTG for medium direct. All I used was mesquite. I think I was looking to cook this for 15-20 minutes. At that point most of the fish was done but the thicker end. I rotated the plank to take the fish off save the thick end and cook a couple more minutes.

It was tender and moist throughout.

Looks great! Im a big fan of Alder myself. There are a few places that sell every type of plank you can think of. I agree w/ using it two times, thats about it, then just break up wood and use for smoke. Try some spatchcocked game hens on a cherry plank...yum!!

Back