Cedar bad ?

Jeffr Hode

TVWBB Fan
I have read that cedar is bad for smoking, although I have used it many times for Salmon.
I came across these cedar wraps that are for fish, meat, poultry, and fruit. Can anyone tell me why is it okay to use these, or to cook Salmon on a smoking cedar plank, but not use the wood in the smoker ?

Jeff

It's not bad, as you know, but can be a bit much for some foods, even salmon, where too much can be overwhelming. If trying it as smokewood with different items be sparing till you get a sense of it and your preferences.

I really like the flavor of cedar on Salmon...I really get the planks smoldering before putting the fish on. But I thought that I read that using cedar as a smoke wood is toxic ? I have been getting the planks from http://www.barbecuewood.com who seem to have every wood under the sun.

Maybe there are cedars that are not appropriate but cedar used for planking can be used for smoking. I find planking, frankly, unnecessary, and the whole soaking/oiling thing superfluous. I want the salmon on the grate with the heat circulating it, not blocked by the wood. Small chunks or a foil pack of chips works well. I get chunks from Maine when I'm up there. There are a couple places on line that sell chips or chunks.

I probably use alder more though. (It's great Patrick.)

Lapsang souchong tea, btw, is smoked over cedar (or sometimes pine).

The Cedar Planks that you can purchase are Western Red Cedar. This is the specie that you purchase or can get in a resturant when you order cedar plank salmon. I would use these when cooking on the grill or for smoking. These do require soaking before using. Otherwise they will burn up. I have done salmon on the smoker with just cherry wood and it has come out great.
Pat

A question to everyone.
I have just ordered cedar planks so need some tips on getting started. How to set up the smoker and so on.

Thanks
Alan

I soak my plank for at least 30 minutes--can be more but I have not seen any appreciable difference in the plank catching fire. I soak the plank in water, but have read of others using juice or beer. Get the plank good and hot so it starts smoking a bit with the cover closed on the grill and then lay the salmon on the plank skin side down. Cook it until it flakes apart, which will vary on thickness of the fish. I like the flavor of a teriyaki marinade for about an hour prior to cooking. By the time the fish is done the plank is charred and smoldering. Keeping a spray bottle with water handy is a good idea in case the plank flares up when you open the lid to check it.

Good luck !

Jeff

Thanks Jeff.

I will give it a try this weekend and let you know how it all worked out. The pack of grilling planks I bought also has Alder in it so if you have any recomonadations, let me know.

Thanks.
Alan

Back