CBBQA Competition BBQ Class, January 18 & 19, 2014

Bob Bass

TVWBB Gold Member
The California BBQ Institute, the educational branch of the California BBQ Association (CBBQA), is pleased to announce a Competition BBQ Class to be held at the beautiful Lake Cachuma the weekend of January 18th, 2014.

This will be a KCBS techniques class taught by 3 of California's Top Pitmasters, names that are very familiar to those following competition BBQ.

Jerry Aguilar from BURNIN' and LOOTIN'​
Matt Dalton from LEFT COAST Q​
Stephan Franklin from SIMPLY MARVELOUS​

At last weekends "Ribs, Pigs & Watermelon Pro BBQ Contest", these 3 pitmasters took First, Second and Third place honors including 2 perfect 180 scores !
Between them, they represent 16 Grand Championships and 15 Reserve Grand Championships.

Class starts at 3PM on Saturday and concludes around 4PM on Sunday. A delicious prime rib dinner will be served on Saturday as well as breakfast on Sunday.

Interested in breaking into competition BBQ or looking to improve your KCBS scores? Then this class is a must do. Attendance is limited to only 30 seats.

California BBQ Association members receive a discount.

For more information, visit http://www.californiabbqinstitute.com

Hi Carlos,

Yes, it is going to be !!! Did you see where other well known pro BBQ pitmasters are signing up to take the class. All 3 pitmasters teaching this class are world class pitmasters. Heck, all 3 are in the top KCBS 100 and one is currently #6 in KCBS out of over 4,000 teams !

Hi Carlos,

Yes, it is going to be !!! Did you see where other well known pro BBQ pitmasters are signing up to take the class. All 3 pitmasters teaching this class are world class pitmasters. Heck, all 3 are in the top KCBS 100 and one is currently #6 in KCBS out of over 4,000 teams !

Hey Bob!
Yes it will be. I had a chance to meet Matt and Steph when they competed up here in Santa Clara for the Silicon Valley Championships back in June, great guys. I had a chance to go and cook w/Jerry when he competed in Brentwood and took GC but totally missed it because I didnt have transportation up there. I kick myself in the butt everytime I think about it :( I'm thinking of heading down there to take the class if I can get the ok from the wife.

Last edited:
Sterling Ball of Big Poppa Smokers will also be there. You know...the current World Champion from the 2012 American Royal Invitational! Add another 180 winner (Brisket - Holbrook, AZ) to list, Bob!

Steve,

Excellent. This will be THE competition class to attend !
My wife & I have discussed going. Just not sure, at this time.
She has other events and we don't have those dates pinned down yet.

On a side note... Have your rain coats / umbrellas / waders packed for this tomorrow's contest !
Might even need to bring a lightning rod or two...

Bob...I might just head out there with you. The guys from LCQ are great and super nice. They have just taken off this year!

Will miss the Campo event :(

Back