Catfish and baked taters

Bruce that's an impressive fish. I've only fished for northerns once. Quite a number of years ago my dad and I went to a fly in fishing resort in Canada. We caught the heck out of Northern pike and walleye.

The guides cleaned our fish and hated cleaning the pike. They actually hated messing with the northerns period. They called them "snakes". A lot of the guides had scars on their hands from handling them.

They had a way of cleaning the northerns whereby they scored the meat so the small bones disappeared when cooked. I remember my dad and I bring shocked that the northerns and walleye tasted very similar. The guides cooked some up for a shore lunch every day and we really couldn't tell the difference. Both were great.

Brings back good memories.

It is probably the high carbohydrate content in a potato. I was under the impression that Carbs are hard on a diabetic diet as well.

About the same carbs too. Neither type is great for diabetics. But there are certainly foods that are far worse.

LOL, yah, up "NORTH" they all seem to hate northers. However, they are extremely fun to catch and you always have that chance to hook into a big one.

Here is a 17 pounder I caught ice fishing when I was much younger. I have this one hanging on my wall. The kid in the photo is my buddies kid.

dcRZEdi.jpg

Another beauty. Yeah I remember from that trip how much more fun the northerns were to catch than the walleye.

I fish for fish. Favorites are Walleye, Northern, Catfish and whatever is biting. Smallmouth are great fun too. Even more fun than Largemouth IMO. They are not different to fillet out than largemouth, walleye or most other fish. I never keep bass. I don't keep many fish, but I prefer other fish over bass for eating.

By the way Larry. I apologize for criticizing you for BBQing only on rack of ribs. I did two on my grill last week and just finished off my 4th meal of them today. Wife had two meals out of them. They were meaty St Louis Cut ribs though.

Larry that surprises me that sweet potatoes mess with your blood sugar. Sweet potatoes actually have a lower glycemic index vs regular. Not doubting you at all just surprised.

Yeah surprised me, another thing that threw me into a tailspin was oatmeal. Since I have settled into a better routine between exercise and diet I have been able to have some potato, (sweet and regular), I can have rice (love Risotto), I have found a low carb high protein and fiber pasta from Barilla that is hard to tell from regular, and some other things that in moderation I can now eat and still keep the glucose levels in check. Last visit the Dr even halved my oral med so I think things are getting better or at least stable. I have lost about 20lb but have seem to plateaued and that is discouraging since I really need to take off at least another 40 maybe eve 50 so that maybe I can get off most meds completely.
Bruce, no apology necessary. All good LOL. Funny thing is back in my body building days I would eat 2 racks like that MYSELF, baked potatoes (at least 2), and a host of other things enough to choke a horse. I managed to gain close to 90lbs and it was all upper body mass. Well all it did was "fall down" LOL

Last edited:
Sounds like you are on the right track. Changing my diet, losing 50 pounds, and upping my activity worked for me.

The main thing for me was limiting my added sugar foods and white breads to very little to none.

Once I did that everything normalized. Meaning blood sugar, cholesterol, blood pressure, and weght. Might not work for everyone but it sure worked for me.

Back