Catering Questions

A.D.Letson

TVWBB Fan
First off, I know that this should probably go in the "Just Conversation" thread, but I was hoping that this information would stick around longer than 60 days so I put it here. Hope that is okay Chris.

I am thinking of perhaps trying to cater as a profession in the future and was wondering if anyone had any good resources that I could go through. I need down and dirty basics, like how much is the front end investment, how long until a profit can be turned, what are the bare bones tools that you must have, can a small home kitchen accommodate a beginning caterer, etc. Any books or other resources would be really appreciated.

Adam

First you have to decide what you mean by catering. Without the constraints of a definition it is hard to determine what you need on any level, material or financial. Ask yourself the questions: What kind(s) of food? For up to how many people? Cooked on- or off-site or both?

Make a trip to your county's health department and ask for their guidelines/requirements/codes for approval/licensing. Ask if surrounding counties adhere to the same codes. Peruse that info.

Many counties disallow using a home kitchen for a commercial venture (which means you cannot cook at home for sale on- or off-premises); those that allow it most always require the kitchen to be inspected/approved before licensing (so get those requirements, if so--and find out from the zoning department if they'll have an issue with it and/or if you'll need zoning approval or a variance).

In most places you do not need HD licensing if you cook for a client in their home but you might need a county business license, depending on your county. In some counties, if you bring your own kitchen/cooking apparatus (like mobile kitchens, barbecue set-ups on trailers, etc.), you can forgo HD licensing as long as the cooking occurs on a client's private property. Others disallow this without inspection/approval of the apparatus. There's more to this part of it--just get to your county's HD and see what's what.

There are some books and web sites that might be helpful (search Amazon and use Google) but none that are all that comprehensive, imo. This is less an issue with the material, rather it is simply because catering has so many variables specific to the caterer, many specific to the county/area, many to the type of clientele desired, that it would be quite difficult to cover all the details of every possible combination of variables. Still, there is useful information out there; you just have to collect it and piece it together.

Many if not most caterers start small, under the radar, without HD or licensing involvement, by doing smaller parties/events for family and friends (often charging nothing but the cost of food, in the beginning). This gives an individual a good idea of the vagaries and nuances of this type of work. Soon after, they start charging 'real money' for their services, most of which goes for food and building of their equipment inventory. Later, they go 'legit'. (I do know several caterers who, because of strict area codes, have never gone legit.)

Many people start out with limited offerings--barbecue, appetizers, kid's parties, holiday spreads--and only expand when they feel up to it or as demand increases. Some just flesh out the offerings within their purview and leave well enough alone. Much depends on the caterer and the market in which s/he operates.

One is only limited by one's imagination and we all have different imaginations and desires. I used to cater from restaurants years ago, which was okay, but since have cooked privately (cooking only in a client's home as opposed to cooking off-site--I don't have a choice in this anyway as 90% of my jobs are hundreds of miles from where I live). I cook pretty much whatever I want--food from a variety of cuisines and styles, pretty much for people who appreciate good food and what goes into it, and for whom my fees aren't much of a concern. This works for me well, it's not my primary income source, but were I home all the time it's likely I'd pursue a restaurant instead as I much prefer it. Others work in different ways, cooking privately or catering, expansive offerings or limited (there are several successful barbecue caterers that are members here), full time or just a sideline.

So, doubtful that my ramblings have helped much but if you can define what path you're thinking of...(you can always change it, add to it, subtract from it at any time
icon_smile.gif
)

Kevin,
Thanks for all the information. I would give you a better idea of where I'm headed, except I don't know. This is basically a five year goal that I was hoping to begin research on now. All I know right now is comfort food and barbecue so I am sure that is where it will begin.

A.D.,

You jsut about have to jump right and do it to learn what works for you. Start out small say a group of 20 or so and only cook 2 or 3 meats with a few side dishes, if it works for you cook on-site outdoors. This worked the best for me, I have done several family reunions, employee meetings, etc. and this is perfect for me. I don't want to do it for a living or do enough of it to worry about any business issues. What I do is really just a big back yard BBQ for whoever. Like Kevin said the first 3 or 4 I done I just asked to be reimbursed for my expenses and didn't really make any money at all. But that's OK with me right now. I already had all my outdoor cooking equipment from competing so I didn't really have any startup costs.

Do what you are comfortable with in the beginning and work up from there. And keep asking questions, there are several minds of knowledge here that can help.

Randy

Yes, there are--and you are one of them.

Adam, if you tool around the Net you can find websites of numerous caterers--barbecue and non alike. Many have pics so you can see the variety of set-ups that people use. At some point soon, check the local HD for their requirements as well. That will give you an idea of what you can do--or not--should you decide to be legit at whatever point. Cooking for smaller groups, meanwhile, can give you some personal and professional insights and can give you an idea of what equipment would make life easier for you--chafers, Cambro insulated pan carriers, hotel pans, cold-service items, disposables, etc. These can be seen online (go here and here--then click the Catering links or type catering in the search box); you can then look locally as well.

Back