catering for 70?

Vic C

TVWBB Member
Hi every one, I wanted to ask what your opinion is on this. I am catering my wedding in may. I have to keep the price fairly low and there will be about 70 people there. I plan on doing sandwiches and sides. I'll be doing 4 hams, 8 Turkey breasts and 60 pounds of pulled pork. For bread I plan on getting croissants, sourdough bread, french rolls, and Hawaiian style sweet rolls. Is this enough for 70 people? Thanks for your input.
Vic

Much more than enough. You could cover over 100 on the pork alone.

Congratulations on your wedding!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
Much more than enough. You could cover over 100 on the pork alone.

Congratulations on your wedding! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kevin is very correct. Generally figure about 4oz of meat per person if you have sides, 8oz if you do not.

Congratulations! Enjoy!!

Tend to disagree with Larry here !
We supply many hotels and restaurants, and the general rule of thumb is 12ozs uncooked wt of meat to feed an adult. This usually reduces to 8ozs cooked meat. However, from what you describe, you have ample to cover your requirements for the function.
All the best for your big day, and the future !

Pete.

You're catering your own wedding?

You sir, are a brave man. I forgot my tuxedo on the big day and barely made it to the alter. I couldn't imagine cooking for everyone on top of everything else going on, but that's just me.

Food sounds great, I'm sure it well turn out fantastic. Congratulations.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pete Hannan:
Tend to disagree with Larry here !
We supply many hotels and restaurants, and the general rule of thumb is 12ozs uncooked wt of meat to feed an adult. This usually reduces to 8ozs cooked meat.
Pete. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pete, I was referring to cooked product and I said 4-8oz depending on what else is being served.

BTW, you're getting a great yield at 67%, that is far better than what I have ever gotten. I generally get closer to 50% yield from raw to served product.

I was going to start a new thread, but since this one involves portions, I thought I would just jump in here -

We're doing a "tasting function" at church next week - 40 or so "chef's" (including one ole pulled pork guy - me) preparing their "specialty" for about 400 people. There will be multiple entrees, sides, salads and desserts.

I am going to do pulled pork sandwich "sliders" on little mini buns (assuming I can find them!), topped with slaw. While the traditional sandwich probably has 4 oz of meat, I am figuring 2 oz per sandwich, or 8 sandwiches per pound of cooked meat. Any idea about whether that calculation is appropriate?

Of course, not everybody will get a taste of every food offered, and this is Alabama so I expect that most will want a taste or two of the pork, so I am planning to cook 12 butts, average 8 lbs per butt, 96 lbs precooked weight, about 50 lbs cooked weight, 50 lbs x 8 tasting portions per pound = 400 tasting portions. Does that sound about right to everybody???

Hints, suggestions and comments are, as always from this group, welcome.

By the way Vic, I apologize for hijacking your thread, and wish you the very best on your wedding and this new chapter in your life. Smoking meat for your own wedding - that sounds like a doubly good day.
Pat

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">50 lbs x 8 tasting portions per pound = 400 tasting portions. Does that sound about right to everybody??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes, though again, in this case, it should be much more than enough. It will depend, as you suspect, on the size of the little buns. (When I do little appetizers of this sort, or even smaller amuses bouches) I make small biscuits, using either a 1- or 1.5-inch biscuit cutter. Just a thought.)

Originally posted by Mike U:
You're catering your own wedding?

You sir, are a brave man. I forgot my tuxedo on the big day and barely made it to the alter. I couldn't imagine cooking for everyone on top of everything else going on, but that's just me.

Food sounds great, I'm sure it well turn out fantastic. Congratulations.[/QUOTE

I think the yelid of about 50% is valid. It is SAFE anyway. I'm guessing hotels are usually serving meats that have much less fat and waste like Steamships, pork loins, Turkey, and prime rib.

Aloha Vic C... congrats of your upcoming wedding. Been involved in catering and cooking for large crowds for over 50 years and the key would be..."What else is being served?" If you have just one meat then a serving portion of 6 to 8 oz is sufficient. But if you are serving several types of meat I would lower the entire serving portions of meat to 4 to 6 oz. People have a tendency to "load up" if only one kind or "a bit of this, some of that, none of that" when a combination of meats are on the table.
When I cook for a bunch of Hawaiians (family and closest friends) the meat is up to a minimum 8 oz portion automatically! LOL So you have to consider who will be eating...

Good luck...
joe

Half of the guests are Pacific Islanders. We plan on having lots of sides such as BBQ beans, potato salad, salads, fruit salad, and a bunch of dishes that are native to Guam. I would rather have way to much than to little. Besides All the cooking will be fun before the big day.

Back