Catching temps on the way up = thick smoke

Once the meat starts to heat up, the cells begin to tighten up and stop “absorbing” smoke.
Meat does not absorb smoke. Smoke particulates stick to the surface. Nothing on or in meat tightens up and prevents smoke from doing so.

I Minion all cooks, high heat or low/slow, and always load the meat in immediately. (It's part of the point of using a Minion start in the first place.) I see no reason to wait.

I don't bury wood nor do I use anywhere near as much as most people. Only so much is going to stick at a time. I use the equivalent of 1.5 fist sized chunks - but first cut to small pieces, about 5-7 per chunk. Were I to want more smoke flavor than this already provides (even though the wood quantity is less, the flavor is not), I would add more small pieces after the initial wood was spent or nearly so. As long as smoke is present it will continue to stick to the meat.

There's the sparks!
icon_smile.gif
AND I partially agree. Perhaps "adhering", instead of absorbing, would have been a better word selection. Thanks for clarifying. I stand corrected on that point.

I've found that cutting those "fist sized" chunks into thirds or even quarters generally keeps the smoker from billowing early in the cook.

(this was one of many good suggestions from Kevin K)

Thanks to the OP for bringing up the subject, and in case ya'll didn't follow the thread, the issue is as much or more about CHARCOAL than it is about the wood smoke and chunk size or placement.

I believe some good posts have been made on this subject recently though, and Vincent C. and Ray B. made a couple that came to mind.

Basically, I feel the answer to the issue is to wait til enough or all of the top layer of briqs is ashed over and burning clean before adding meat.....OR use lump. As for wood, I don't have any problem laying a chunk or two on the fire during a cook, but buried wood will always burn cleaner and longer.

OK, so I decided to wait until the thickest smoke disappeared before putting the meat on tonight (a 10 pound packer, after trimming). I won't be doing that again, I don't think, until I can figure out a way to control the temps in doing so.

Exactly as I suspected would happen, even with the Stoker connected, the temps rocketed up to 275 and stayed there or fluctuated higher. I had intended to do an overnight 225 cook, starting around 12:45am. An hour in and it's still well out of control. I suspect my brisket will be done before breakfast unless I can knock this down FAST. Food is expected to be delivered at 2pm for a 3pm chow-time. HELP!

Back