cast iron grates

I'm thinking of the one from Craycort (your second link) I have been replacing more of the regular weber cooking grates. Usually every 2 years. I'm thinking that the cast iron ones will last.

I bought the Weber sear grate when Craycort fell off the radar and became unavailable for a time. While the sear grate is great I definitely prefer the Craycorts and have since bought them for my 22.5 kettle (and honestly, all my other grills, they all have Craycorts).

As far as I am concerned, my grates have all paid my back in deliciousness. I can highly recommend them. They are expensive but for as much as I grill they are worth it.

Laura

Thanks to you guys :mad: I've now put a smokey joe cast iron grate on my wishlist :cool:

My dad used to have a nice 60's or 70's double and single hibachi with cast iron grates (andwell, the things weighed a ton, so must have been cast iron all out, they don't make 'm like that anymore), and only one grate has survived the "it's rusted, let's ditch it" clean up spree. Thinking of just dumping it on the stainless grate and see what that does :D Anyone ever tried that? Just some el cheapo cast iron grate from left over hibachi's and put it on a weber?

Gerald - I don't see any reason it won't work as long as you have it well seasoned and let it heat up well. I use something very similar when making steaks. I use a cast iron grate made by Lodge (Lodge Logic Pre-Seasoned Barbecue Grill/Grate). My only complaint with the Lodge is that the grates themselves are a little too close together and mke it very hard to clean. Good luck.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00063RXLU/?tag=TVWB-20

Guess I'll give it a go once it's been removed from the caravan. Saving up for a purpose built CI grate too in the meantime :D (my previous reply is actually based on scouring this forum for nice little bits of info on everything, including CI grates)

Back