Cast Iron Grates for the Genesis...

Brian K

Anyone,

I have to say after cooking with these things on my brand new weber genesis I can't say that I'm really sold on these things. I constantly have food sticking to them (Pork steaks, chicken, ribeyes so far). Are there tricks to these things? I'd like to make the original grates work but I can't stand having to be careful to not scrape them so hard and having food stick. Maybe the good ole rod welded stainless steel grates are for me but I can't find any replacement ones that have a listing that it fits the newer genesis E-310. Can someone help me out here?

Thanks,

Brian

p.s. futhermore, which side is up on these things? I have the triangle side up right now but it sure doesn't appear that they're supposed to go that way. I'm seeing a number and a letter on the corners of the grates if that helps. Thanks in advance guys. This is my first gas grill. I have a WSM and OTS that I can handle with the best. Gas is supposed to be easier right?

Not really familiar with the grates, but I'm pretty sure like all cast iron they need to be seasoned. After that you really shouldn't have a problem with food sticking. Google seasoning cast iron.

Brian,

I have the porcelain covered cast iron and have also had some issues cleaning them. I usually burn the sticky stuff off after each cook, and scrape if necessary. I have had mine for about 6 years and have a few rusty spots where the porcelain has chipped off.
I also oil the grates before cooking with an oil soaked paper towel.
I have cooked with the triangle side up, and also the other way. The flat side up works well if I have smaller shrimp to grill.
When I replace the grate, I will probably go with SS.

Ray

Troy, the directions say since its porcelain covered that no seasoning is needed.

Ray, Any clue where you can get SS grates to replace the cast iron? I'm having trouble finding ones that would fit the newer genesis. Thanks for the response guys.

Brian

Troy, the directions say since its porcelain covered that no seasoning is needed.

Ray, Any clue where you can get SS grates to replace the cast iron? I'm having trouble finding ones that would fit the newer genesis. Thanks for the response guys.

Brian

I haven't looked yet. When I di I will let you know where I find them (if I do).

Ray

In my Genesis, I use medium heat and don't have much of a sticking problem unless they are not ready to be flipped.
Those grills cook so hot, if you don't have your times down BAM it's shoe leather!
Otherwise, maybe spray some non stick agent before hand, PAM or equivalent.

Thanks Ray, let me know if you find some. In the meantime I'll oil the grates and /or spray them with pam to see if that helps. Thanks for the tips!

There is a guy out west that AJ has the email address for RCPLANE or flyer. he makes the flavor bars and the heavy SS grates.PM AJ.

saw recently an an orchard supply hardware that the grates for the genesis have changed design.
IMG_20120901_141014.jpg

I just bought stainless grates on Amazon. I had porcelain before, so I can't comment on the cast iron grates. However, I can say for sure that the stainless grates are MUCH easier to clean than porcelain, and I have noticed very little difference in the searing ability, although I think porcelain is supposed to have a slightly higher heat retention (and hence, better searing) than porcelain. I briefly thought about getting the cast iron, but didn't want to deal with the seasoning, the rust, and the cleaning issues. For me, SS has been the correct decision, and I am very happy with the result.

Here is the link to Amazon to show you what I purchased for my Genesis 1000 NG Gas BBQ:

Weber 7527 Stainless Steel Replacement Cooking Grates

Back