Carolina Style BBQ Sauce

Tom (Gunner)

TVWBB Super Fan
Hey All,

I wanted to share this BBQ Sauce recipe with you..It's nothing fancy but man it goes well with some pulled pork! And it's really simple

1 cup prepared yellow mustard
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup light brown sugar
3/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon white pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 teaspoon soy sauce

Mix all ingredients together in a sauce pan (except soy sauce) and simmer for 30 minutes on the stove top. Stir in soy sauce after you take it off the heat. And that's it!

I usually add more cayenne and black pepper (I usually don't have white pepper so I use black only, usually 3 tsps) but that is all I change. It has an awesome sweet and sour tang with some heat at the end...

Thanks, Tom. That's a South Carolina style sauce and looks absolutely delicious. I'm smoking a picnic tomorrow and will be giving this recipe a try. I appreciate your contribution to the joy!

Rich
icon_razz.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RichPB (richlife):
Thanks, Tom. That's a South Carolina style sauce and looks absolutely delicious. I'm smoking a picnic tomorrow and will be giving this recipe a try. I appreciate your contribution to the joy!

Rich
icon_razz.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Awesome Rich! Let me know what you think!! I made another batch last night for a bbq we are having tomorrow..Last time I brought it to a party I converted at least 3 people who didn't like vinegar based sauces..they loved it! I hope it's a hit at your party as well.. Thanks for lookin'!

Cheers!

That is one fine BBQ sauce, Tom! Thank you -- it's added one more food to the repertory. Now mind, I AM from NC and I do find my preference is for the Carolina Red sauce that Chris A. lists, but I will be making your sauce often.

Now why would I do that? Because 1) it's a great change and a complement, 2) it is a FINE, FINE grilled shrimp sauce, 3) you need to try som-a-that in a ham and cheese rollup -- umm-UM!, 4) along the BBQ side, it makes a terrific ingredient in the slaw!

So your recipe now sits in my unfiled recipe file (with everything else). I know it's there and it will probably get made again as soon as this bottle runs out.

Rich

Awesome Rich! So glad you tried it! I bet it would be GREAT on shrimp and slaw...good call I will try that for sure! Been meaning to cook up some shrimp, so that is a good excuse because I have some BBQ sauce leftover!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom (Gunner):
Awesome Rich! So glad you tried it! I bet it would be GREAT on shrimp and slaw...good call I will try that for sure! Been meaning to cook up some shrimp, so that is a good excuse because I have some BBQ sauce leftover! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Glad to help, Tom.
icon_wink.gif

I mixed a little EVOO with some of the sauce to help keep the shrimp from sticking, put the shrimp in this mix to coat thoroughly, then used the sauce to pour over the shrimp on the grill. No sticking at all.

My wife was not a fan of your sauce when she tasted it straight and didn't want it on her shrimp
icon_frown.gif
. So I fixed some with just EVOO, salt and pepper which she loved. But when I gave her some of the shrimp with your sauce she said (and this is true), "That's the best shrimp I've ever had!"

Edit: I have to say that Sheila is pretty strictly a boiled shrimp cocktail person. Doesn't care much for shrimp cooked other ways (except breaded and fried) and has always panned my grilled shrimp until this.

Rich

Hi. I just ran across this thread. The mustard based sauce looks quite appealing. Can someone point me to the Carolina Red sauce previously mentioned in this thread?

Thanks,

Terry

Terry, I might be wrong, but I think this might be what you're looking for

A Cleland said:
IMHO, there is only one sauce for pulled pork.........and that is CAROLINA GOLD. A mustard based sauce with vinegar for some bite, yet runny enough to use in a squeeze bottle. You haven't lived if you haven't experienced the magnificance that is CAROLINA GOLD.

This will make you wish that you never tried anything else:

The lazy way:

1 cup yellow mustard
½ cup apple cider vinegar
¼ cup molasses
¼ cup honey
1 tbsp. dark brown sugar
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce

Mix, refrigerate for 24 hours, then enjoy.

For those with a more refined taste:

2 cups prepared yellow mustard
2/3 cup cider vinegar
3 tablespoons tomato paste or ketchup
1/2 teaspoon chipotle Tabasco sauce or you favorite hot sauce
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup honey
1 chicken bouillon cube
1 teaspoon powdered rosemary
1 teaspoon celery seed
3 teaspoons mustard powder
2 tablespoons butter
2 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon table salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Mix the wet ones, grind up the dry ones and add to the wet ones, refrigerate for 24 hours, get ready for the best experience that bbq has to offer. These sauces need to be kept refrigerated, and will last up to a month.

Hi. I just ran across this thread. The mustard based sauce looks quite appealing. Can someone point me to the Carolina Red sauce previously mentioned in this thread?

Thanks,

Terry

Your basic SW Carolina sauce is usually ketchup based. Hence "red". Like this:

1 1/2 cups/350 mL cider vinegar
1/2 cup/120 mL ketchup
1 tablespoon/15 mL sugar
1 teaspoon/5 mL salt
1/2 teaspoon/2.5 mL cayenne or 1 teaspoon/5 mL hot red pepper flakes

Cook for 10 min.

Many Thanks for everyone! I appreciate the information. Now I have to smoke more pork so I can try all the sauces. I just finished building my first Mini WSM. This weekend will be an excellent time to try it out and the different sauces.

Hi Rich, I have been going over all the recipes I have posted on this site and can't get over all the good stuff that I have found that we haven't tried, including a lot of the recipes that I've posted. Yes, time is flying by MUCH to fast.

Back