Capacity help: buy a new 22" or is my 18" good enough

FJ Abraham

TVWBB Fan
I have never had a problemm using my 18. We simply never make more than can fit on it.

That said, I have been requited to do an Easter BBQ. I'm planning on 4 slabs and a minimum of a whole brisket (I'd like to do 2 but I don't think it will fit). Is that doable with the 18"

On a related note, I am also planning on buying a Guru. With that in mind, are the fuel concerns of the 22 less problematic when it's controlled?

I'd rather not buy a new smoker, especially since I have my 18 right as I like it. But I guess I will if it's a good idea.

If it will fit you can do it. I have had the 18 and 22 and love my 22. As far as using a Guru I do believe that it helps with fuel consumption because your temp is always constant. At Christmas I think I went 19 hrs with my 22 and Guru set up.

I have never had a problemm using my 18. We simply never make more than can fit on it.

That said, I have been requited to do an Easter BBQ. I'm planning on 4 slabs and a minimum of a whole brisket (I'd like to do 2 but I don't think it will fit). Is that doable with the 18"

On a related note, I am also planning on buying a Guru. With that in mind, are the fuel concerns of the 22 less problematic when it's controlled?

I'd rather not buy a new smoker, especially since I have my 18 right as I like it. But I guess I will if it's a good idea.

not sure but i think they sell a stacker for the 18.5 wsm,i thought i saw it on cajun bandits site,i have a digi Q dx2 and i love it and would recommend it.i just recently did a butt over brisket over night in mid 30* weather (N.Y.) and the butt went 14 hours on one load with plenty of charcoal left over

I've had 3 18.5 WSM. Sold all 3. I have a 22.5 WSM now. It's all that I want for everyday use.

You can do two briskys on the 18.5 " WSM. One top rack and one bottom.
4 slabs will fit on your 22.5" Plat, if you do a double grate mod ( flip one spare grate over the other, and that gives you two levels )
Do the snake or half circle around the perimeter and rotate if needed.
I would say you are good to go with what you have.:wsm:

Tim

Back