Can't keep charcoal going - have tried everything

J Reid_NC

Alright folks, I'm pretty new here but been reading for a while. My Weber collection is modest - 18.5" WSM, Jumbo Joe, and two Smokey Joes - one I bought new, one old model I grabbed that was sitting at the dump that I plan to restore.

Today I'm probably adding a copper 22" Premium, and later a Master Touch Premium. It's a sickness...

Anyway, love the Webers, especially the WSM. That thing is simply amazing. It's really just the wife and I (and two little boys) so I mostly cook on the Jumbo Joe during the week. It gets cozy so that's why I'm adding a 22, but I digress. On both it and the Smokey I simply CANNOT get a good hot cook. On both, what ends up happening after I close the lid (and this is with a RED HOT, glowing bed of coals), there's maybe a 6" diameter "pocket" that stay red hot, the rest cool down. By cool down I mean you can hold your hand over them no problem. It has to be something I'm doing wrong and I just cannot figure it out.

Last night I did a chicken cook on the Jumbo - 3/4 of a regular chimney load of Royal Oak lump. It was an inferno when I dumped it. Let it sit with the lid off for 5 minutes or so, then closed it up and added the meat 10 minutes later. Within 20 minutes, only the left side was lit and it was red hot (all vents fully open). The right side was literally cool enough that you could pick up the charcoal with your hand that had originally been glowing red.

This happens on both grills, with all types of fuel. I've tried:

- Regular Kingsford
- Royal Oak Briquettes
- Royal Oak Lump
- Nature-Glo (Royal Oak)

I've lit it in the chimney until everything was red hot. I've lit it until you just see the bottom start to glow. I've lit only a small batch and dumped it on top of unlit in the grill. Nothing works to give me a good cook. What generally happens is once I put the lid on it immediately starts to cool down (as expected). For slow cooks like ribs, I can close the vents and it holds the temps pretty decent, but say I want to reverse sear a steak...it is not possible to go low initially and then open the vents and have it get hot enough to sear. I can only do this by taking the lid off and letting the air get to it for 10 minutes.

On the Smokey Joe, searing is not possible unless I do it immediately after dumping the coal. With all vents wide open, it simply will not stay hot enough.

Needless to say it's a bit frustrating, and it has to be user error because so many people for so many years cannot be wrong about how awesome these things are. My fuel is new and fresh - it works flawlessly in the WSM for 12-16 hour cooks so I don't *think* it's gotten damp, but I will say it's stored in my garage near the garage door which is open pretty much every day, so maybe it's absorbing humidity.

Hopefully ya'll can share some tips on what I might be doing wrong! Regardless, it does still churn out killer food. Here's some Cornell Chicken I fixed last night:

1599918371201.png

Meant to add: I'm a fanatic about keeping the grills clean so both are pretty much spotless - no ash buildup or any obstructions. I don't think I'm letting the coals sit in the chimney so long as to have them be "spent". Last night when the Royal Oak lump went out I quickly light a chimney of Royal Oak briquettes to dump in and get me through. They did the trick but same thing happened - they eventually went out, and what was left basically looked like unused briquettes (ie - they were not used up).

It's confounding because I do a lot of dutch oven cooking with Kingsford blue - there each piece of charcoal is basically on it's own and I've never had a problem with them staying lit.

My present BBQ Arsenal is a WSM 18" bought new in the year 2008, Weber Performer Deluxe(WPD) and a Weber Smoky Joe. What has really helped me in arriving and maintaining the proper temperature are the right BBQ Accessories which are: On my WPD; SlowNSear Plus, DripNGriddle Pan, SNS Easy Spin Grate and Grill Grates. On the WSM using a Hunsaker Vortex Plate over the Charcoal Ring and mainly using Kingsford Blue Bag Briquets in the right amount. On my Weber Smoky Joe I have the Custom Grill Grate which really helps with the Searing process.

I should add that my joining the VWB Website in the Year 2008 was the #1 help in using my BBQ Arsenal! Also, the You Tube Videos on the BBQ Stuff are of great help.

Attachments

• IMG_0032.JPG
    IMG_0032.JPG
    238.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0110.JPG
    IMG_0110.JPG
    287.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0108.JPG
    IMG_0108.JPG
    261.4 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I can't say I've had the problems you describe. I don't have experience with using Royal Oak, I have exclusively used KBB for my cooks. One question I have for you is regarding when you are trying to get sear temps. Do you try to raise your temps to sear temp with the lid on or lid off? Do you want to or try to sear with the lid on or lid off? When I want to sear, I mix the coals a bit to drop some ash then leave the lid off so as much air and oxygen can get to the coals as possible and raise the temps of the coals. I also sear with the lid off so the coal temp stays as hot as possible.

Thanks for the responses folks...I can see the need for some accessories. The WSM performs flawlessly right out of the box for me...so far anyway.

Regarding trying to sear - usually I leave the lid off and let it get RED HOT. Otherwise it'll never get hot enough

But say I'm trying to cook some bone in chicken over direct heat on the Smokey Joe ...it literally will not get hot enough to char, or if it does it's only in one small spot.

On both grills the heat seems to concentrate on a small diameter of coals that will glow while the others eventually cool down and go out...as last night when they literally went from glowing red to cold enough to handle during the course of the cook. Just doesn't seem right but then again maybe these smaller ones are a bit more finnicky. I know there will be cold spots but I'm thinking shouldn't be this bad.

I have lifted the grate and stirred the coals around to liven them up...that seems to work well.

Here's generally what the charcoal looks like in the chimney when I dump:

IMG_20200912_164411.jpg

Oh and here's this red beauty I just picked up today. Pic above is the burn in load...going to do chicken and shrimp tonight. This is with a new bag of KBB just purchased to remove that from the equation. I've never cooked on a full size kettle so I'll be interested to see how it differs.

15999437828141220647406290228171.jpg

I have no clue why this would happen. If your Smokey Joe is a premium edition with the side vents, it's known to have issues getting enough air and a lot of people do the mod to add the lower vent. I never had that issue with my Jumbo Joe.

Beautiful new redhead. You shouldn't have any issues on her. If so, it's definitely the charcoal, in my opinion.

Thanks Mike - the Smokey Joe is the premium with side vents, so that's good to know.

I haven't cooked with KBB on the Jumbo in a long time so may try that with this fresh bag.

The redhead is fired up right now for the burn-off. 3/4 of a chimney load and she's at about 500.

As expected...the 22 had ZERO issues this evening. Hard part was trying to get the inferno tamed down actually - used the baskets and had them filled to the brim. Cooked the chicken direct over those and had to really watch to not burn it to a crisp.

While it was doing it's burn-in I played with the damper and it seemed to be much more responsive than the smaller ones to adjustments. I am happy.

As expected...the 22 had ZERO issues this evening. Hard part was trying to get the inferno tamed down actually - used the baskets and had them filled to the brim. Cooked the chicken direct over those and had to really watch to not burn it to a crisp.

While it was doing it's burn-in I played with the damper and it seemed to be much more responsive than the smaller ones to adjustments. I am happy.

The 22" is a fun grill to cook on. You'll learn how to control the temps easily after a few cooks. Your new grill looks great.

It's really just the wife and I (and two little boys) so I mostly cook on the Jumbo Joe during the week. It gets cozy so that's why I'm adding a 22, but I digress. On both it and the Smokey I simply CANNOT get a good hot cook. On both, what ends up happening after I close the lid (and this is with a RED HOT, glowing bed of coals), there's maybe a 6" diameter "pocket" that stay red hot, the rest cool down. By cool down I mean you can hold your hand over them no problem. It has to be something I'm doing wrong and I just cannot figure it out.
Have you tried using less charcoal in the SJ to see if it gets hotter and burns better? I can see a big pile of briquettes and their ash actually acting as something of a barrier to airflow.

You could replace the SJ with a charcoal Go-Anywhere if the rectangular format works for your style of cooking. It has roughly the same surface area as the SJ and IMO the airflow design is much better.

You mention you have a "new" SJ and an "old" SJ...does the old one have the 3 daisy wheel vents like a Bar-B-Kettle? If it doesn't, you could always grab one off of Craigslist to see if it works better than the single-vent SJ.

Last edited:
Not to sound insulting, but it sounds like the fire isn't getting enough air, but surely the bottom/top vent is open.

That's a weird one. :unsure:

The 22" is a fun grill to cook on. You'll learn how to control the temps easily after a few cooks. Your new grill looks great.

Thanks...yes so far I'm loving it. I work at home pretty much permanently now and my office is right off the deck, so a few days a week I'm smoking something throughout the day.

Right now I just threw some spare ribs onto the 22 using the snake method. I've used that before on the Jumbo with a lot of success so I'm looking forward to seeing how the big guy does.

Easier to just use it for one rack than the WSM I think.

Have you tried using less charcoal in the SJ to see if it gets hotter and burns better? I can see a big pile of briquettes and their ash actually acting as something of a barrier to airflow.

You could replace the SJ with a charcoal Go-Anywhere if the rectangular format works for your style of cooking. It has roughly the same surface area as the SJ and IMO the airflow design is much better.

You mention you have a "new" SJ and an "old" SJ...does the old one have the 3 daisy wheel vents like a Bar-B-Kettle? If it doesn't, you could always grab one off of Craigslist to see if it works better than the single-vent SJ.

I have kind of been having the same thoughts. I've always used KBB with dutch ovens with zero issues - for that setup the coals are pretty much all standalone by themselves.

I have the Go-Anywhere propane grill and it works well. The SJ I really just uses for hot dogs and brats when camping (along with the Jumbo)...and for the novelty really. Sometimes it's fun to cook stuff on the little guys.

The "new" SJ I just bought a few months ago so it has the side vents which kind of suck to be honest. The "old" one I found at the dump and it was in good shape minus the grate so it came home. Not sure what vintage but it's actually made in USA and has the daisy wheel vents on the bottom...I have yet to cook on it but would be a good comparison.

The Jumbo I'm kind of convinced it was a charcoal issue - the SJ I just can't seem to get enough air and I've tried packing the small Weber chimney full, as well as 3/4 full to see if it was too crowded.

Not to sound insulting, but it sounds like the fire isn't getting enough air, but surely the bottom/top vent is open.

That's a weird one. :unsure:

No worries - to me that's exactly what it seems like and I just cannot figure it out. The coal could be wet, but it lights easily and gets red hot no problems. Top and bottom vents wide open and clear.

I've kind of landed on the small ones are just sort of finicky. Only thing to do is...keep grilling!

:D

You have fine taste Greg!

Haha...yeah I'm looking at having a herd for sure. Had my eye on the new master touch premium but this guy was available at the local ACE so I junked on it

Will probably still add the premium or a 26 later on.

Cooking a rack of spare ribs today and the thing has been pretty rock steady temp wise using the snake method.

Alright won't leave yall hanging - ribs have been demolished. About 5 1/2 hours at 250 (per the Weber thermometer, so I estimate maybe 225 or so at the grate). Flavor was on point, they were good and moist, but really needed about another hour. I made a snake at it was probably a little over 1/3 of a circumference. Kinda petered out there at the end and started dropping down to 200. Could have added more but they were done "enough" and I was hungry...more importantly, the wife was hungry.

Next time will fill it at least half way around, but until it reached the end of the charcoal the temp was rock steady. Top vent fully open, bottom damper at the first mark (the low n slow setting). Perfect.

I'd give them 9/10 for rub and smoke flavor, 7/10 for texture.

1600305684624.png

1600305706189.png

1600305743973.png

Back