Can't get WSM above 215

Patrick Balint

Currently have my first smoke going in my 18.5. Roughly 8.5 lb pork butt on the top rack, lit using Minion method. I can not for the life of me get the smoker above 215. Am I doing something wrong? I haven't opened the lid, and all vents are open 100%. Tried stirring the coals, which temporarily bumped it up a bit, but now it's right back where it was and just settled between 205-215. I'd like to bump it up around 235-240 if I can. Thanks.

Hi Patrick.

I'm assuming you read the temps at the lid. Once you have the meat in, the temps at the lid are notoriously unreliable. But if the charcoal is dry, eventually the temps will increase if you have all vents open. It could be that the fire has a hard time catching on, and maybe you should add a bit more burning charcoal to the fire. So light up more charcoal in the chimney, and once they burn add them to the fire. I wouldn't worry too much about the temps at this early stage into the cooking....the meat can handle it. And if the temps won't increase, then open the side door a bit....that will surely start raise the temps.

How did you start? Minion or a lit chimney? What are you using as fuel, charcoal or lump? Usually the problem is keeping the temps down. Try taking the door off for a little while or cocking the lid a bit, when the temp gets to where you want it then uncock or put the door back on.

Think I fixed it. I lit about 30 briquettes in a chimney first, and then put them over the top. Using Kingsford blue bag. I think the issue was that the foil on the outside of the water pan had opened a bit, and had started acting like a heat shield. Took that off carefully through the side door, and now it's holding 235 at the lid with the bottom vents open 25% like a champion. We are in business.

This is my first smoke. At this time, I don't have another thermometer to compare it against, so I'm going to have to trust it this time.

Not a problem unless the gauge temp fails to rise after the meat gets hot and cooking.

The dome gauge is usually directly over a big chunk or two of meat that starts off relatively quite cold, serving as an effective heat sink. So the answer is to either work around the meat and measure at the vent or below the grate (where meat doesn't drip), or just target a temp RANGE and learn your cooker. For instance, if using water in the pan to cook pork butts/brisket, my gauge starts no higher than about 200* and will EVENTUALLY hold around 225*.

Just thought I would update this. The pork turned out great and everyone loved it. The meat literally fell off the bone. 10 hours at 225-245 and it was perfect!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tibor Roczo:
Once you have the meat in, the temps at the lid are notoriously unreliable. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Actually, the temps at the lid are the most reliable and convenient to measure, assuming therm is in good working order. Go with one place and stick with it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Patrick Balint:
I think the issue was that the foil on the outside of the water pan had opened a bit, and had started acting like a heat shield. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow, thanks for the report. I'm a new WSM owner and foil the pan and have NOT been paying attention to how loose the foil is. Now I know.

Smoke on
Clark

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave Russell:
The dome gauge is usually directly over a big chunk or two of meat that starts off relatively quite cold, serving as an effective heat sink. ... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
What he said.

It's also a good idea to check the thermometer once in a while by measuring the temperature of boiling water.

Back