Can't Decide

Joe P

TVWBB Member
I have a WSM and a gas grill. I was thinking of buying a Weber Charcoal grill like the One Touch Silver or Gold 22 1/2#. I used to have a Weber One Touch Silver 22 1/2# but sold it for $25 at a yard sale about 5 years ago (mistake!).

Tell it to me straight. What are the benefits of using a Weber charcoal grill? I am thinking of getting one or at least, driving through the neighborhood on trash night until I can find one for free. Is the only benefit, hot sear temps? If you factor in the 20-30 minute coal lighting time I might be better off with the gas grill?

Thanks for your opinions.

The main difference between gas and charcoal is flavor. Gas is slightly more convenient, but that's it's only advantage.

You still have to clean them up and get propane.

I use lump in my weber grill, and it only takes about 10-15 minutes to get to temps. Regular charcoal takes a bit longer.

I would recommend the weber kettle if you are unsure.

I just bought a 22 1/2 and have loved it. I too have a gas and a WSM. There is just something about a steak on a charcoal grill. My gas is still very usefull during the colder months, but two cold beers on a warm spring or summer night during the light up phase on the 22 1/2 makes the wait all worth while.

I have a Weber gasser, kettle and a WSM. I like to use my kettle for indirect cooking of an hour or more. Maybe a pork loin roast, chicken or whatever. I think the advantage in that instance is that it is much easier to infuse some smokewood flavor than with my gasser and I can cook smaller quanties and use a lot less fuel than if I were to crank up the WSM for that particular cook. Also the clean-up is less than with the WSM. The kettle also allows me to use my EZQue rotiss which is really great !

Paul

I also have a 22 1/2, a WSM and a Weber gas grill. Only use the gas grill for convenience. For flavor and the enjoyment of a good cook I always go with charcoal. If I knew then what I know now I probably would not have bought a gas grill. That said, it does come in handy if you suddenly lose power or you have to cook a batch of food after a hurricane hits.

Joe,
Which is better; Gas or Charcoal? This issue has been debated ad nauseum. Some people claim there's no flavor difference, and some people claim charcoal tastes better.

Well, I have always used gas, but last year bought a Weber kettle. I have not used it all that much; I still generally use one of my gas grills. But I have noticed that the food really does taste better when cooked over charcoal.

For me, convenience dictates gas most of the time. It's quicker and easier to cook with gas, and temp control is easier.

But sometimes I just want the charcoal flavor.

A Weber kettle isn't particularly expensive and doesn't take up much space. You might as well have one to go along with your gasser and WSM.

If I could have any grill but just 1, it would be a Weber kettle. It is great for any kind of outdoor cooking. Whether you buy one new or "pick" one on the food tastes great!

Charcoal-cooked tastes better.

Gas-cooked is way more convenient when short on time.

Everyone needs one of each.

Before you spend the money and patio footage on another grill, check the modifications section for how to grill on your WSM. I haven't decided which modification to do, but I'm definitely going to do one of them for those nights when charcoal-searing is the way to go.

Mike

I was in a very similar place a few months ago, I had a a big gass grill and a WSM. I bought a one touch gold 22.5" grill. I LOVE IT and use it about 4 or 5 times a week. I always had issues with gas grills, hard to control temperature, hard to get hot enough to sear without catching your food on fire, having to deal with running out of fuel at the least opportune time.

After using the charcoal grill it gets real easy to judge temperature by how many coals you have burning, to me the heat is much more uniform, it's very easy to do indirect cooking, easy to add a chunk of wood for smoke if you want. It only takes 20 minutes to get it going, a bit more than gas but I like cooking over coals much better so it's worth the extra time for me.

I haven't used the gasser since I got my kettle.

Anton

well, you are going to get a slightly biased opinion on these boards. But don't worry, because they are right!

charcoal really is great. The great thing is that it really isn't a huge investment. You can find a 22 1/2 gold for $125 pretty regularly. There really isn't much of a comparison with gas. That said, gas is really good for those times when you haven't thought about it and decide you want to grill something in 5 minutes.

in our house, the charcoal is used by me, gas by my wife. It's kind of a his and hers grilling set. Only I didn't have them monogrammed.

I'll be one more voice for the kettle. I have had my 22 1/2 Platinum for 2 years and have really pleased with it. I have smoked on it, indirect grilled on it, and the amount of heat you can get out of it for a quick sear is really great. And for only 180 bucks to boot.

Joe P,

I don't have a gasser. Sometimes I wish I did. However, I've also found that a chimney of fresh lump, with two wads of newspaper is ready to be dumped and cooked on in 15 minutes, sometimes less. Can you really get a gasser up to cooking temperatures any faster?

I second Joey Mac's statement. When I am planning on grilling, I get home from work, start a chimney of charcoal (I use the Weber wax cubes) and head on up to change out of my work clothes. Usually by the time I change and get my food together, the charcoal is ready to go. I so strongly prefer the taste of the charcoal grilled food to gas grilled food that I have turned down the gift of a gas cooker. Regards.

Originally posted by Joe McManus:
Joe P,

I don't have a gasser. Sometimes I wish I did. However, I've also found that a chimney of fresh lump, with two wads of newspaper is ready to be dumped and cooked on in 15 minutes, sometimes less. Can you really get a gasser up to cooking temperatures any faster?
I have a Genesis Silver B with PCI grates and love it. My taste buds, honestly, don't detect a difference between a marinaded, well seasoned good steak that has been seared at high heat on either gas or charcoal - nows the time to throw those rotten tomatoes !
icon_smile.gif

Also, when I've done the 15 minute preheat on the gasser, I am simultaneously preheating the PCI grates. When you dump the ashed over briqs or lump into the kettle, the grates are not preheated.

That said, on the weekend with plenty of time, there is something special about sitting next to that kettle while the chimney gets the briqs/lump ready and sipping on that favorite brew.
icon_smile.gif

Paul

Try this. Cook burgers on both gas and charcoal at the same time, try a bite of both then tell me what you think. I love a good burger cooked over either, even fried but I will go for the burger cooked over the coals everytime. With cheese! lol

Dale, I have cooked on gas for my whole adult life, but last year I got a kettle to go in my arsenal. The first thing I cooked in it was hamburgers, and my wife and I both said they had the taste we remebered from picnics as kids. We have had good burgers with gas, but the flavor over charcoal was a bit different.

That said, I also like burgers seared over high heat in a cast iron skillet. Hard to beat those, too.

Joe,

You've got to try these. Six minutes from striking the match till you're cooking. No joke.

They use NO lighter fluid, so there's no smell or off taste to worry about. They're on the grocery store shelves for about 10 bucks for three mini bags.

I use the Egg configuration, and by the time I get my food ready, the grill's been ready for several minutes. Midweek grilling with real charcoal flavor is now possible.

I admit, I'm no fan of gas, and with the speed and flavor of this new generation of briquettes I have even less reason to consider changing. But hey, gas works for a lot of people, maybe it'll work for you.

Back