Canadian Thanksgiving coming - what will be on the bbq?

k walsh

TVWBB Super Fan
What are my fellow Canadians planning for their T-Day meals? Thanksgiving for us up north here is October 8th this year.

I will apple brine a fresh turkey and smoke/cook on my WSM. I usually also do a plethora of wild game dishes but this year it will be a meal for only my wife and myself.

Ken

Last edited:
We just picked up a frozen Butterball @ $.99 lb. so I will likely do it on a BGE turkey rack in my WSM and let it drip out. At that price we could not pass it up. I do them HH and get the skin nice and crispy although we don't each much of it. The grandbrats will be here and they like my ribs so maybe some of them to with potatoes and squash.

I'm afraid T day is out of my hands. My wife buys at 25 lb bird and makes the best turkey you ever tasted. There's tons of other stuff, but the capper is always authentic Quebec sugar pie the way her great-grandma made it.

To be honest - I never complain! :eek:

I'm sad to say that this year I am away. Not all bad because its business in Barcelona! Tapas for Canadian Thanksgiving.

I'm afraid T day is out of my hands. My wife buys at 25 lb bird and makes the best turkey you ever tasted. There's tons of other stuff, but the capper is always authentic Quebec sugar pie the way her great-grandma made it.

To be honest - I never complain! :eek:

Uh Michael? Any chance of sharing that recipe for the Quebec sugar pie? :)

I did not know that Canada has a different day for Thanksgiving. I found that it is the second Monday in October.

Happy Thanksgiving to my friends to the north! :)

Ray

Hey Mike, I haven't had sugar pie in about 15 years. Man is that good. Does she make Cipaille too? I haven't had sea pie either in years.

Thanksgiving, my Yankee friends, is a harvest festival. Not surprisingly, the harvest up north is earlier than in the south, ergo, Thanksgiving up here is earlier, in fact, the same as Columbus Day.

As for the recipe, I'll ask my wife if it can be shared. I will tell you this much: She tried for years to replicate it, but it was only when her great aunt explained that it was poor people food that it all fell together.

Cheers,

Michael

I don't know too much about our meal, other than the main course is going to be a brined turkey that my brother-in-law does, this time smoke roasted on a OTS.

We have a 6 hour drive to get there, (thru the Rockies which will be scenic) but at least there will be lots of food and bev when we arrive.

UPDATE - it's the cranberry orange brined smoked turkey recipe from Weber's Big Book of Grilling. Things are looking good.....

Last edited:
I have not brined a turkey...yet but it will happen. Roasted, deep fried and smoked. Maybe for Christmas.

Attention Canadians: since so many of you are here, I would be very Thankful if you would all use your influence to bring back hockey.

OK, so turns out the recipe is not really for sharing. But, I cn tell you the main ingredients are brown sugar, butter, and, the secret ingredient, Carnation condensed milk. Basically, that's all of them.

Attention Canadians: since so many of you are here, I would be very Thankful if you would all use your influence to bring back hockey.
Well we got one of the most expensive loosingness teams in history... "the Maple Leafs" but they still fill the Air Canada Centre at outrageous ticket prices. Some of us can drive to Buffalo, stay overnight, see a game and go home for less money than going to the ACC!!!

Last edited:

Back