Can you overbrine a Turkey?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Usually I brine my turkey about 8-12 hours, but this holiday will be forced to brine 24 hours. Will this hurt the results?

Thanks all and happy holidays...

Not necessarily. It's a matter of salt concentration of the brine and length of time your meat is in the brine. Cut the salt back and you can go longer no problem.

Hi Gary,

I'm with you on 8-12 hours using a typical ratio of 1/2 cup table salt (or 3/4 cup Morton Kosher or 1 cup Diamond Kosher) to 1 gallon of water.

I've brined a few turkeys longer, and have ended up with almost watery turkey and texture changes that I don't like. But your mileage may vary.

If you have the option, you might consider using a high-salt brine, but for a shorter time. For example, use a ratio of 1 cup of table salt (or 1-1/2 cups Morton Kosher or 2 cups Diamond Kosher) to 1 gallon of water, and a brine time of only 4-6 hours, followed by a thorough rinse.

Regards,
Chris

Was just getting ready to drop an eight pound turkey breast in Keri's brine solution (feeling that doing an enhanced bird would be OK based on what I've seen here) but then looked at the package again and was floored! When I bought it I thought it said "Enhanced With 1.5% Solution."

Now I realize it actually says, 15% !!

Whaddya think? I'm doing a whole bird also which I'll do in the oven, and was planning on cutting down on the salt anyway in the brine. That one is 7%.

Headed to the store now anyway to pick up some final supplies. Might be on the lookout for one that's natural.

Art just put half of the salt that's called for in the brine.
icon_smile.gif
Bryan

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bryan S:
Art just put half of the salt that's called for in the brine.
icon_smile.gif
Bryan <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm with Bryan. Don't be freaked on the 15%--most of that is water.

Chris, I agree that a high-salt short-time brine can work really well. I've just not had very good results on large fowl, possibly anecdotal however. I do prefer that method though on pork roasts--center-cut loin roasts, tenderloins, etc. I've not had the watery results you spoke of on large fowl but that may well be differences in brine. Sometimes all of this is so circumstantial. On large fowl I actually prefer a lower salt, longer time brine. My feeling is that the penetration is better.

Regardless, let us know what you do, Gary, and how you like the results. And welcome to the BB.

I have used the honey brine recipe at least 5 times and done it for 48 hrs. with no over saltiness or texture issues

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Now I realize it actually says, 15% !!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Go by the "sodium" content, not the solution percentage. If it is above 300mg, start cutting back on the amount of salt in the brine.

OK, I'll let you guys know friday. I'm doing two 12 pounders.

Both birds are in 1 cup diamond crystal salt to 1 gallon apple juice brines.

bird #1 goes for 12 hours then I pull it, loosen the skin by hand and dry it with towels then the fridge.

bird #2 goes for 20 hours then gets dipped in boiling hot water 3 times

both birds go at 335* with cherry and apple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back