Can I Smoke Turkey and Babybacks Together?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom K.

TVWBB Member
I realize that this question has been asked on this site before, but I cannot remember, nor find, the answer. Can I smoke two large boneless turkey breasts and two slabs of babybacks at the same time? I think (but am not certain) that I can do this, but am uncertain which should go on the top rack, and which on the bottom. Also, as I've been smoking the turkey breasts at a target temp of 225 degrees, if I want to try the 3-2-1 approach to cooking the ribs, I think (but again am not certain) that the 225-240 target temp range will also work for the ribs. So, I'm trying to be sure which to put on the top rack and which on the bottom, and whether or not I can use the (approximate) 225 temp range for both. Thanks.

Sure those temps are fine and within range. I believe you can put either meat on top without any ill effects. I must warn you about the 3-2-1 approach that you can get very soft ribs if you overdo the foiling. Some people like this but 90% of the time I like it without foiling. If I do foil baby backs I go 2 1/2 hours unfoiled.... then 1 hour foiled.... and the remainder of the time unfoiled..... Report back and tell us what you did and how you enjoyed your results.

You can do both at around 225*, but life will be easier and the result will be better if you do the turkey breasts at 325-350*.

Secondly, never physically put any poultry above any other meat on the WSM. Poultry juices dripping on other cooking meats are potentially dangerous in terms of food safety at low & slow BBQ temps-- and Jeff, I believe you've been around here long enough to know better.

Sorry Doug I was thinking of duck. I know chicken is a no no and possibly turkey. My purveyor has told me that is is ok to use duck on top and I have several times.

You gonna brine those turkey breasts? I would highly recommend doing so and I'm sure you'll be glad you did. I would concur regarding putting anything that flies (especially if you brine) on the bottom rack and anything that had four legs goes on the top rack.

Thanks to you all. Got it; turkey on the bottom. So shall it be. If I do decide to go ahead with the foil, I'll moderate the time in the foil as you suggest Jeff. So far, I've tried two different marinades for the turkey breasts (one overnight), and the other on for a couple of hours before I put em on the smoker. I've also just put on a basic dry rub and just spritzed with apple juice following the recipe on this site. Perhaps out of ignorance, I have not considered brining, as I have to watch my blood pressure, and I've been thinking that something soaked in a high-salt brine might not be the best thing in that regard. Maybe I've got this wrong, however, and if so, I'd be interested in hearing about it. Again, thanks for the guidance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back