Can I let dry rubbed pork sit for more than an overnight?

LarryA

Last night, I cranked up some dry rub on a coupla racks of ribs and a pork butt, intending to smoke them today.

Today, however, I've been a little under the weather.

Would it be bad if I let them sit in the fridge, on dry rub, for another night? That is, if they're on rub for a day and a half before I get them into the smoker, would that be a bad thing? Would the results be sub-par?

Thanks!

if they're on rub for a day and a half before I get them into the smoker, would that be a bad thing? Would the results be sub-par?
What's the primary ingredient? If it's a brown sugar based rub, you'll be OK, you will get some serious bark. If it's Cayenne based or heavy on the Cayenne, it could be a little intense.

The salt content is what I'd be more worried about. They should be fine. Grocery stores season meat all the time that doesn't sell right away.

As long as the rub you used isn't loaded with salt they should be all right, If it was they'll come out real hammy.

Why the flipping Todd? I remember reading something about flipping or was that tipping cows.

The butt will be fine but like others have said the ribs will be very hammy tasting if your rub has a lot of salt. That is not necessarily a bad thing if you love the taste of ham. I have done it and everyone loved the "ham on a stick" :p

Back