Can I get my 22" up to 450 in 45 to 50 degree weather?

John Moncrief

I am following a recent NY Times turkey roasting recipe. I have to smoke it (an 18 lb super expensive heritage model) at 450 for 30 minutes and then 350 until done. My plan is to fill up the ring of my 22" and dump two chimneys of gray coals on it. When the all of the coals are gray (or top layer?), I will throw on the apple wood chunks. When they start to flame I plan to put the turkey on. The forecast, unfortunately, is for temperatures in the upper forties. Will I make it? Any tips? A few years ago we had a colder Thanksgiving. I had failed to fill up the ring. I used a leaf blower to get the temperature up to 300. It worked but coated the turkey in fine ash. i will put the bird in the oven to finish it if necessary but I going to start and go for at least two hours on the smoker no matter what.

It can be tricky getting temps back down once they are up that high. I only have an 18", but even with that smaller size, I'd imagine it'd be difficult to get and keep it at 450 for half an hour. Will your oven be in use during that time? My first thought was to do the 450 in the oven, then move it to the smoker and aim to keep that at a consistent 350.

It can be tricky getting temps back down once they are up that high. I only have an 18", but even with that smaller size, I'd imagine it'd be difficult to get and keep it at 450 for half an hour. Will your oven be in use during that time? My first thought was to do the 450 in the oven, then move it to the smoker and aim to keep that at a consistent 350.

My understanding is that you can finish in the oven but cannot start in the oven. You lose most of the smoked flavor if you start in the oven. I guess the bird gets seared a bit? This came up in the discussions about long and slow cuts like a big pork shoulder that smokes12 hours or so. No one wants to put it on a smoker in the middle of the night. But the consensus seems to be that is what you have to do... start in the smoker.

Last edited:
My understanding is that you can finish in the oven but cannot start in the oven. You lose most of the smoked flavor if you start in the oven. I guess the bird gets seared a bit? This came up in the discussions about long and slow cuts like a big pork shoulder that smokes12 hours or so. No one wants to put it on a smoker in the middle of the night. But the consensus seems to be that is what you have to do... start in the smoker.

That bird won't be air tight after you brown it in the oven for 30 minutes - especially if you don't stuff it. Either way, I'm sure you'd get sufficient smoke penetration. Do you have a gasser? You could always start in there with a foil packet of wood chips on one of the burners.

I have been successful getting high temps by using an empty water pan (or removing it), opening the top vent 100%, and placing a metal skewer horizontally between the lid and center section to create a gap. Of course, I have no idea how high I get doing this because the thermometer is maxed out. Then, when I want temps to calm back down, I remove the skewer and close a bottom vent or two depending on how low I want to go. Once I get near the target temp I open one or both of the vents back up to maintain my temp. YMMV I hope this helps.

I do have a gasser and wood chips. Great idea. I will definitely be using the smoker with the water pan empty. Will probably be an effort to keep the temp at 350. Wondering if the skewer between the lid the center will be as effective as propping the front door open?

I do have a gasser and wood chips. Great idea. I will definitely be using the smoker with the water pan empty. Will probably be an effort to keep the temp at 350. Wondering if the skewer between the lid the center will be as effective as propping the front door open?

I tried propping the door open and I could never get the hang of it. I mean lodging some sort of devise to keep it open, it moved and the door falls off, etc. I just went with more chimney.

Here's what happened. People coming at 1. At 6:30am took 18 lb turkey out of refrigerator and did final preparation. 8:30am put turkey (in foil roasting pan) on Weber Genesis Silver gas grill showing temp of 500. Temp immediately went down to 200. ***? Peeked in after 15 minutes. Wood chips were flaming. Breast was getting seared. I think the temp was high. Somehow the foil pan affected the lid thermometer. 9am put turkey in 22" smoker. I had filled the ring almost to the top and put two chimneys of burning charcoal on top. Also threw in a couple of apple wood chunks. Temp was about 330 on the lid thermometer, 375 on the grill thermometer. Went like that for the next two hours but then started going down. I put lump charcoal on. Temp went up. Next time it went down I put another chimney of burning charcoal on top. Grill temp went up to over 400 but soon went down ***? Continued to struggle with it for the next hour. At 12 I figured I better check out the bird. 170 in the thigh. ***? Although it was fancy heritage, free range $72 turkey, it had a red pop-out button. The button was popped. It was done. ***? Covered breast with foil and a wet dish towel. Got out my cooler. Heated up a brick on the smoker. Wrapped the brick in a towel. Put the turkey inside with more towels on top. Closed it up. People show up around 1:15. Took it out around 1:40 pm or a little later. Eureka! It was still hot. Carved it. It was as perfect a turkey as I have ever done. ***?

Back