Can I get my 18" WSM hot enough to boil water on the top grill w/o a lid?

Roger R.

TVWBB Fan
Does anybody know if an 18" WSM, with no lid, can get hot enough to boil about 1.5" - 2" water?
I want to make paella on my WSM if it is possible.
Do you know if this is possible?
Thanks

Move the charcoal grate/ring up on to the lower cooking grate? All three lower vents fully open. Cook on the top grate.
Edit: I was going to suggest leaving the door off. But there's a possibilty of hot embers escaping through the opening. YMMV.

Last edited:
This is basic thermodynamics, and not specific to your 18" WSM.

It takes a lot of heat energy to bring water to a boil. Even more when you add mass to it in the form of unheated food. Unless it's in direct contact with a flame or other heat source, a lot of the heat will naturally be diverted around the bottom and away from the the vessel, reducing the amount of heat energy actually being transferred into the water/food. With a barely sufficient heat source water can stall, due to evaporation carrying off heat, much like larger cuts of meat do.

The best way to get it to boil is to start with near boiling water and have the vessel as close to your heat source as possible. Also, fully lit fuel and plenty of air flow are important. Even then, don't expect it to happen quickly.

With the lid off, the fire will get lots of air and so the fire will get raging.

To get your WSM as hot as possible, do some/most/all of the following:

Light up a lot of charcoal; burn lump rather than briqs; lid off; door off or door open; all vents open; get food closer to the fire; don't use water in the water pan; don't use the water pan (or other diffuser) at all.

To get the food and fire closer you can put the charcoal unit up on the water pan bracket and cook on the top grate. Or leave the fire at the bottom and cook on the lower grate. You can even put the food right on top of the charcoal ring.

I like the idea of moving the charcoal up to the middle rack. I have a BBQ Guru and that might help keep the fire up. Thanks for your tips. I think I'll experiment a little before I invite the guests. Those darn paella burners are pretty expensive for something that only gets uses occasionally so I'd really like to make my WSM work for this!

Charcoal unit fits right where the water pan goes. 8.5 inches from the charcoal grate to the cooking grate.

If you put the cook grate directly on the ring, the spread is 4.75

Chris explains all below.

Back