Can I Finish a Pork Butt in the Oven?

Frank S

TVWBB Super Fan
I got a late start on a pork butt that I am taking to a friend's house. I have to leave home in 30 minutes but the internal temp of the meat is only up to 178. Can I pull it from the smoker and finish it in their oven? If so, what oven temp should I use?

i would double foil it then take it to their house and put in the oven at 300-350 until it was at least 195 internal. but that's just me
icon_biggrin.gif

I'd say yes you can depending on how long of a drive is it to your friends house? I'd fill a cooler with boiling water, pull butt, foil, wrap in towel, dump water from cooler and dry, line with towels, put butt in cooler and bust *** to your friends house (call ahead and have him pre-heat oven. Finish at same temp you cooked at. My .02.

Definately you can finish in the oven. Once it is wrapped in foil (if that is a method you use) the meat has no clue as to if it is still in the smoker, the oven, or strapped to your car engine on the way to your buddies house. If you need to quickly get it finished then Tony's temp works. If you have time before you will be eating then I would finish at 225-250.

Their house is only about 10 minutes away. Thanks for the quick response guys. You are life savers!!

Frank, Remember to put the foiled butt in a pan and not directly on the oven rack incase the foil springs a leak.
icon_wink.gif

Back