Can I change out this quick connect to an ACME nut on my regulator?

Hello, I bought this grill recently and it has the quick disconnect. The tank ran out and everyone on here was saying to swap the tank to a regular acme nut and then swapping the attachment on the regulator to an acme nut attachment (link is below).

Will this work? Do I use yellow plumbers tape on the treads or pipe dope?

The place near me says he still has the attachment to fill this tank up but is it best to just get it changed out? because I hear quick connects aren’t as safe and can leak.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...RrxfTh0KVvn52GwZUtBmCMpTIEaMG3DxoC_gYQAvD_BwE

Attachments

• 2D374F23-19F1-454E-94B8-939245FC5948.jpeg
    2D374F23-19F1-454E-94B8-939245FC5948.jpeg
    146.6 KB · Views: 6
I was able to do that on my Skyline, used teflon tape for the seal, tested with detergent and water for bubbles after.
Less fuss in making special connections when refilling.
I think old quick connections are just as safe as the elastomer seals within them. They will eventually get brittle.

I recently replaced the side burner assembly on my gen 3K, the original had a quick disconnect but the new (actually older) one came with a pipe thread connection. I was happy to do away with the qd here, even though it will be a little more work when burners need to be serviced.

Last edited:
QDs are perfectly safe as long as you have one that is specific for gas application, & pressure rated to at least equal to the maximum pressure rating of the bottle. (The seals inside the female part of the QD will be of a different construct than those used in QDs rated for fluids).

If it's easier to use the acme thread connector, then go with that. Use PTFE thread tape on the threads of the male connection to the regulator, & ensure the tape is rated for gas applications. If you're not comfortable doing it yourself, have someone who is to do it for you. (Nothing wrong with asking for help if you're not sure. I've lost count the amount of times I've seen people put thread tape onto a threaded connection......the wrong way!).**

Edit: Having had another look at the pic, it appears you would need to change out the valve on the bottle to accommodate the acme connector. The current valve looks to have an NPT male thread on the discharge side of the valve, which the female part of the QD is screwed on to. I'd just swap out the bottle and fit an acme connector to the regulator.

**Apologies for the long-winded reply/drift, & I'm not trying to belittle anyone. But when I'm at work I'm working on & around high-pressure pneumatic and hydraulic equipment all day long, up to 20,000psi. You'd be horrified at some of the stupid things some people do. Basic stuff.
Rule #1: Respect Pressure!! No matter how small.

QDs are perfectly safe as long as you have one that is specific for gas application, & pressure rated to at least equal to the maximum pressure rating of the bottle. (The seals inside the female part of the QD will be of a different construct than those used in QDs rated for fluids).

If it's easier to use the acme thread connector, then go with that. Use PTFE thread tape on the threads of the male connection to the regulator, & ensure the tape is rated for gas applications. If you're not comfortable doing it yourself, have someone who is to do it for you. (Nothing wrong with asking for help if you're not sure. I've lost count the amount of times I've seen people put thread tape onto a threaded connection......the wrong way!).**

Edit: Having had another look at the pic, it appears you would need to change out the valve on the bottle to accommodate the acme connector. The current valve looks to have an NPT male thread on the discharge side of the valve, which the female part of the QD is screwed on to. I'd just swap out the bottle and fit an acme connector to the regulator.

**Apologies for the long-winded reply/drift, & I'm not trying to belittle anyone. But when I'm at work I'm working on & around high-pressure pneumatic and hydraulic equipment all day long, up to 20,000psi. You'd be horrified at some of the stupid things some people do. Basic stuff.
Rule #1: Respect Pressure!! No matter how small.
I think I would rather just get the modern connector.

I put the Teflon tape the same way the threads are being screwed into? So clockwise? And how much tape should I use?

I am planning on swapping out the bottle and just adding an acme connector to the regulator. I’d hate to get rid of this perfectly good tank but when I called the propane place to see if I can get the quick disconnect tank filled, he said “I might have one somewhere let me check”. It just seems like no one calls to get them filled anymore. I might as well just switch to the acme because you can get them filled ANYWHERE. Do you agree?

Also is this good tape to use? Or is pipe dope better? (Link below)

Clockwise, yes. Three to four full wraps of tape will be fine. That tape looks the ticket.
I'm not in the US, but I'm sure other members can chime in with where to get the bottle filled up.

Three to four full wraps of tape will be fine. That tape looks the ticket.
So just covering the thread once over? I will buy that tape.

One more question. I found two propane tanks on the side of the road in bulk pickup day. I took them and they are heavy so I’m assuming that they are almost full but they are rusted bad. They have acme attachment.

Can I use the gas in it and then exchange them? Is it safe to use them even though they are in bad condition? I don’t want to damage my regulator or clog my grill or most importantly cause an explosion. I included a picture of them. Do you think it’s ok to just use up the gas in there and then I would just exchange them?

Thank you for your help

Attachments

• 35B08AE1-B354-4C96-93FA-04D333786CB0.jpeg
    35B08AE1-B354-4C96-93FA-04D333786CB0.jpeg
    182.3 KB · Views: 7
  • E5668F02-8AE3-4A6B-8405-B9A33D2AF29E.jpeg
    E5668F02-8AE3-4A6B-8405-B9A33D2AF29E.jpeg
    163.3 KB · Views: 6
  • CEC8A193-3BBD-4A59-A2C5-CE9EE269180A.jpeg
    CEC8A193-3BBD-4A59-A2C5-CE9EE269180A.jpeg
    161.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 2F332629-AACC-412E-927E-5E299E9C95F8.jpeg
    2F332629-AACC-412E-927E-5E299E9C95F8.jpeg
    182.9 KB · Views: 5
  • AC6FB384-DE1C-49FC-8F2B-F4A77865851D.jpeg
    AC6FB384-DE1C-49FC-8F2B-F4A77865851D.jpeg
    157.9 KB · Views: 4
  • F8B55441-0C73-4722-B5B0-C794411A27CA.jpeg
    F8B55441-0C73-4722-B5B0-C794411A27CA.jpeg
    152.9 KB · Views: 5
On those small threads the heavy tape required for gas does not work quite as well as dope

I've used both tape, and this sealant.

edit: but not at the same time. I use one, or the other.

51hORK+XJBL._AC_SL1280_.jpg

Last edited:
I think so. You would need to take a close look to see if it's rated for gas applications. But don't use both. One or the other. IOW tape OR dope not both

I think so. You would need to take a close look to see if it's rated for gas applications. But don't use both. One or the other. IOW tape OR dope not both
They sell the dope in the tube that danhoo linked at my local store. I’m going to use that because it seems like it is better recommended

Go around the full thread 3 or 4 times. If you want to use "dope", (thread sealant), as LM suggests, I'd recommend Loctite 577 or similar.
I also do what @DanHoo suggests using both tape and sealant, but this method I use on high-pressure applications only. (Tape first, then smear the outside of the tape with sealant).
Those tanks look crap! I wouldn't touch them. If you're feeling brave, open the valve and vent the tank then remove the valve/acme cross-over. Personally I wouldn't.

I've always been told that tape should get a single wrap, that multiple wraps tended to lead to leaks. Is this the case for gas rated connections? I'm used to water/liquid plumbing.

I also do what @DanHoo suggests using both tape and sealant, but this method I use on high-pressure applications only. (Tape first, then smear the outside of the tape with sealant).

I realized my post was misleading and edited it.

I have used both tape and sealant, but not at the same time.

Swagelok. The professionals.

I went on a 3-day refresher course a few years ago at Hydraskills, The British Fluid Power Association approved training facility.
IMG_0706.jpg

Last edited:
So just covering the thread once over? I will buy that tape.

One more question. I found two propane tanks on the side of the road in bulk pickup day. I took them and they are heavy so I’m assuming that they are almost full but they are rusted bad. They have acme attachment.

Can I use the gas in it and then exchange them? Is it safe to use them even though they are in bad condition? I don’t want to damage my regulator or clog my grill or most importantly cause an explosion. I included a picture of them. Do you think it’s ok to just use up the gas in there and then I would just exchange them?

Thank you for your help
I would use them if I were away from any structures and was going to use them quickly.

People will take them for free if you don’t want to deal with them

Back