Can I calibrate a thermostat on an older Genesis E330?

John Franklin

The thermostat is off by about 150 degrees, so if its actually 350 in the grill, I used a probe to check it, the thermostat is showing 500. When the grill is off the thermostat never goes below 200. It's hot outside but not 200 degrees hot.

So can I fix this thing or do I need to get a replacement? For a replacement are there generic ones that will fit into the thermostat raised area thing on the grill lid or do I just stick with Weber brand?

I know of no way to calibrate a lid thermometer on a Genesis grill. If the price difference is significant, I would go with an aftermarket replacement if you can find one. But, just keep one thing in mind. There is always going to be difference between internal grate level temps and your lid thermometer. I just use the lid thermometer for an estimation and which direction that temps are trending.

These are really basic thermometers lacking calibration. They deteriorate over time, but Bruce is giving sound advice in that the lid temperature is always going to vary from the grate level and so is only a reference guide not actual temperature your food is cooking at.

Remove thermometer, with tongs hold the thermometer with stem in a small pan of boiling water , it should read 100° c, or 212° f. That will tell you exactly how far it is incorrect. All new thermometers should be checked as well.

That only works for the old original Genesis types. And also those can be calibrated as well. On the new type with the thermo in center of hood can't even check them

The problem isn't solely whether it is calibrated or not. It is the location. Grate level temps (Where the food is located) are generally not going to match the temps where the thermometer is located in the lid.

That only works for the old original Genesis types. And also those can be calibrated as well. On the new type with the thermo in center of hood can't even check them
Why not? I do mine. It’s an analog thermometer. I just checked two brand new Webers.

Why not? I do mine. It’s an analog thermometer. I just checked two brand new Webers.
I have not seen any way to do so on them. But, then I don't look for that kind of thing. On the old ones that doubled as food temp ones they were easy to calibrate

Weber branded

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KSAHZ1Y/?tag=tvwb-20

not a weber branded one

Weber's prices on most parts are pretty good. It just hurts to pay the $9 shipping cost unless you're getting more than one part.

Weber's prices on most parts are pretty good. It just hurts to pay the $9 shipping cost unless you're getting more than one part.
I’m not going to complain, a week after ordering the thermometer I had to call CS for a different matter, I was telling the rep that they had sent me a new hood for my 05 Summit Platinum, but didn’t include a new thermometer. She sent me another thermometer free of charge. Lol

Weber branded

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KSAHZ1Y/?tag=tvwb-20

not a weber branded one

Both will fit into the raised circle area where the thermostat currently sits? At double the price is there a long term reason to go Weber branded over generic? I did end up replacing the starter with a Weber branded one from home depot as the prices weren't that much different but this is 2x.

These are really basic thermometers lacking calibration. They deteriorate over time, but Bruce is giving sound advice in that the lid temperature is always going to vary from the grate level and so is only a reference guide not actual temperature your food is cooking at.

For the other comments about it always being off, yeah, thats one thing, but right now the thermostat doesn't go below 200 degrees. Doesn't matter if its 99 (today) or 39 degrees outside it just sits at 200 when the grill is turned off and goes up from there when cooking. I don tmind it being off a bit but right now there isn't even a reason to look at the lid one as it's so broken.

I would go with the generic one. They look the same other than the tiny "Weber" name. Whether there is any difference is hard to say, but in my experience even the Weber ones deteriorate. I would rather buy two new generic ones over time, even if each goes downhill a little faster.

And I definitely agree that while they are not an accurate measurement of grate temperature, they still help. One that reads nothing is worthless.

Eh, all right, I will just do the generic for now and see how long it lasts. I don't use it for much other than a general gauge of how hot the grill is, everything else is done with probes and instant read thermometers.

Back