Campfire Beans and Garlic Bread

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
Been craving some beans for a week or so. Spent a good portion of yesterday on these. Rounded things out with some garlic bread.

Cooked 4 cups of pinto beans and one ham hock on my JJ. Set DO directly on coals to bring to a boil. Moved DO up on grate and reduced to a simmer and cooked for two hours.

While beans were on first leg of cook I got some veggies ready. One onion, two RBP's and a bunch of garlic. Spices on side include Chili Powder, K Salt and ground black pepper.

After two hours, I added in the veggies. Realized my 5 Qt. DO was too small so I transferred to my 7 Qt. Simmered for two more hours. Then added the dry spices.

Let it go another 30 minutes or so. Nice and creamy.

A bowl for dinner.... crummy picture.

Don't want to forget my bread!

This was a fun, relaxing cook. Beans and bread were fantastic. Total cooking time on my JJ about 4 1/2 hours. Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Wow.....that looks amazing. It makes me want to try making them for myself. Thanks for the inspiration.

Those look perfect, been a long time since I've done homemade (not canned beans). Going to correct that shortly.

That is one fantastic looking pot of beans Cliff. Bread and beans super dinner for sure.

Oh man, those beans look awesome! I've been hankering for some baked beans for a while now, but all the recipes I find are too sweet (I have to limit sugar intake). These look like they would do the trick! I might add a couple jalapeno peppers, but otherwise, yum!

Cliff that's my kind of food. The goodness just pours out with the long cook. Thanks for the post, I will surely make something similar.

Back