Camp Ribs, BBQ & other food (easiest way possible)

Tracy Seelhammer

TVWBB Member
In several other discussions in the Forums, I've talked about what I do with leftover meats after a smoking session. I've got a 22.5" WSM, and in the interest of using the charcoal in the most efficient way possible, I pack the smoker to smoke as much as I can.
Once cooled, the meat (ribs/brisket/pulled pork) gets portioned out into FoodSaver bags and frozen for future use. Here's the last batch of brisket:
1629899821169.png

When it's time for a meal, it goes into a pot of water at 200ish degrees F until internal temp is back up to 150ish degrees F. I love this method because it seals in the original juices and then reheats them in those same juices.

My wife and I do a lot of camping. While just tent campers (haven't made the move up to the camper/RV yet), we do like to invest in items that make our camping experiences more enjoyable. One of the mainstays on our trips is our Camp Chef Outdoor Oven. I picked it up on a screaming Black Friday deal about 8 years ago, and we probably use it between 15-20 times a year. Here's what it looks like in use at a Drive-In Theater (I'm not sure what we were making. In the past we've done a make-your-own pizza night!):
1629900126107.png

What I've found is that these pre-made and portioned meats are fantastic for camping. They go straight from the freezer to the cooler (which contributes to keeping everything else cold), and once the ice starts melting, they don't take on any water. We've made Skillet Brisket and Biscuit Pot Pie, pulled pork tacos and enchiladas, and other yummy items.

Last weekend, ended up camping at a music festival, and brought along a few packages of the ribs (3-4 bone sections). After heating them 80% through in the pot of water, I tossed them on a sheet of aluminum foil, threw on some BBQ sauce, and then put them in the oven until they were done and the sauce was sticky.
For the next half hour, we had visitors about every 4 minutes asking how we had somehow made smoked BBQ ribs at a campsite in the middle of a field. Apparently, residual smoke smell along with the sauce brought people over like I was the Pied Piper.
1629900794099.png

Did I mention that I also pulled off Deep Dish Pizza and Tacos using the same stove/oven the same weekend?
1629900865193.png

1629900875888.png
1629900954421.png

(Non-grill/smoker related... also have a portable grill/deep fryer combo that also has produced some fantastic food in places you wouldn't expect to see it!)
1629901390061.png

I like your camping style! That oven looks pretty awesome. My go-to camp cooking implement is my 22" blackstone. Everything at camp gets cooked on it, and I'm sure that could easily include some reheated, pre-portioned, smoked goodness!

Thanks for sharing, Tracy!

R

I like your camping style! That oven looks pretty awesome. My go-to camp cooking implement is my 22" blackstone. Everything at camp gets cooked on it, and I'm sure that could easily include some reheated, pre-portioned, smoked goodness!

Thanks for sharing, Tracy!

R
Rich, I have wanted a 22” Blackstone for awhile. A store near me is putting them on sale $60 off next Tuesday at 7:00 am. I plan to be there waiting for the doors to open. That should compliment my Q120 nicely when camping. 🙂

In several other discussions in the Forums, I've talked about what I do with leftover meats after a smoking session. I've got a 22.5" WSM, and in the interest of using the charcoal in the most efficient way possible, I pack the smoker to smoke as much as I can.
Once cooled, the meat (ribs/brisket/pulled pork) gets portioned out into FoodSaver bags and frozen for future use. Here's the last batch of brisket:
View attachment 35547

When it's time for a meal, it goes into a pot of water at 200ish degrees F until internal temp is back up to 150ish degrees F. I love this method because it seals in the original juices and then reheats them in those same juices.

My wife and I do a lot of camping. While just tent campers (haven't made the move up to the camper/RV yet), we do like to invest in items that make our camping experiences more enjoyable. One of the mainstays on our trips is our Camp Chef Outdoor Oven. I picked it up on a screaming Black Friday deal about 8 years ago, and we probably use it between 15-20 times a year. Here's what it looks like in use at a Drive-In Theater (I'm not sure what we were making. In the past we've done a make-your-own pizza night!):
View attachment 35548

What I've found is that these pre-made and portioned meats are fantastic for camping. They go straight from the freezer to the cooler (which contributes to keeping everything else cold), and once the ice starts melting, they don't take on any water. We've made Skillet Brisket and Biscuit Pot Pie, pulled pork tacos and enchiladas, and other yummy items.

Last weekend, ended up camping at a music festival, and brought along a few packages of the ribs (3-4 bone sections). After heating them 80% through in the pot of water, I tossed them on a sheet of aluminum foil, threw on some BBQ sauce, and then put them in the oven until they were done and the sauce was sticky.
For the next half hour, we had visitors about every 4 minutes asking how we had somehow made smoked BBQ ribs at a campsite in the middle of a field. Apparently, residual smoke smell along with the sauce brought people over like I was the Pied Piper.
View attachment 35549

Did I mention that I also pulled off Deep Dish Pizza and Tacos using the same stove/oven the same weekend?
View attachment 35550

View attachment 35551
View attachment 35552

(Non-grill/smoker related... also have a portable grill/deep fryer combo that also has produced some fantastic food in places you wouldn't expect to see it!)
View attachment 35555
I want to hang out with you guys. :love: :giggle:

I like the Camp Chef Outdoor Oven because it has two burners on top (I think mine are 7,200 BTU), and I have grill pan that 'kinda' fits over both the burners. Camp Chef sells ones that is better designed for this, but I'm doing ok with my makeshift setup.
At another music festival, we fed over 100 people with a free pancake feed:
1629922502066.png
The homemade pizza for the kids:
1629922535096.png
A smothered basil/alfredo chicken bake:
1629922571461.png
And my favorite for camp breakfast - French Toast and Sausage!
1629922595628.png1629922601116.png

I just want to camp more.
The MRS doesn't like it, or other things we used to enjoy while we were a bit younger.
We're pretty close to moving up to more of a camper like experience, just so we don't have to crawl off of an air mattress when it's time to get out of bed (and are getting to the point of needing to do that more than once a night!)

Looks Good Tracy. That pizza makes me want some right now. 😋
Was super super easy. I precooked the sausage at home. Took a sheet of premade crust (thin, that comes in tubes), put half of it down in the pan, added a bit of sauce, cheese, and sausage, folded the rest of the crust over, and used up the rest of the sausage, sauce, and cheese. Baked it, let it rest, sliced, and went crazy. Best thing was the leftovers were a great grab and go morning snack!.
1629922929030.png

Back