Calling Larry......Calling Larry........regulator class is in session

JimV

TVWBB All-Star
So Larry and the rest of u pro's have taught me a lot about regulators. As I gain experience I am trying to learn the little details that pop up here and there. As we learned just the other day.....all gas grills use the 11WC rated regulators...even an old school 1000 model. What I also learned was that on the internet there are a ton of regulators being sold for ( grills ) as the ads mention......that say 1psi. Now after making the mistake of buying a couple of 1 psi regs for my flippers by accident last year I realized the 1 psi really pushes the gas too hard for the Weber manifold and burner tube set up. Now I do not know the WC # for a 1psi regulator I will have to look that up after I post. Anyway I saw an ad on FB for a new Weber regulator selling for $20 ...my keeper grill has all Weber Brand parts on it just for kicks but the reg is no longer OEM so I went to buy this " Weber " regulator. When I got the reg in my car I started to read all the the print on the regulator and the hose.....it says 1psi max.....does not say 11wc anywhere on it....The reg also has Chinese Chuan Hseng name on the hose and CHL0251 5/16 1PSIG MAX W.P. MH27966 1Q/18 Can u please decipher what I am reading on this hose and regulator. Now at this point I thought this guy lied to me about " Weber " sending him this reg for free because he called customer service regarding a leak. Then tonight I just Googled Weber Regulator and clicked on the first ad seen below....and sure enough u can read the exact same info on the " Weber " hose at Home Depot........So I determined this guy was telling me the truth and this is in fact what Weber sells and sends to its customers. I think its safe to assume it wasnt made in the USA but only the F150 is these days.
The Home Depot link is below and I will include pics.....
Sorry for the long boring ramble but as a flipper I have a responsibility to put safe grills in peoples back yards.....so I am doing my best to learn the ins and outs.

Attachments

• 20210205_211238.jpg
    20210205_211238.jpg
    291.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 20210205_211059.jpg
    20210205_211059.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 18
  • 20210205_211048.jpg
    20210205_211048.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 18
11" WC is approximately .4 psi. I really am unsure what the 1 psi max thing means. Maybe it refers to the safety cutoff? Wherein something that "trips" is pressure exceeds a certain safe limit. In order to get 1 PSI you need 28" to 30" WC

Wow! That makes sense according to the difference I experienced last summer when I hooked up a 1psi to an ole Silver B. The burners sounded like heating torches. Yes I figure they put the 1psi max on the hose because its not built to contain more then that. I need to look into some of those ads on Amazon. I think some of them are not actually 1psi regs....they might just be stating 1psi because it says 1psi max on the hose.....so really to be sure u just have to order one that says 11wc somewhere in the ad. Thanks Larry

Yah, there is a lot of confusion out there on these "low pressure" LP regulators. I was having freeze up problems with the hose and regulator on my Q200 so I swapped in this one: https://www.homedepot.com/p/GASONE-3-ft-Gas-One-Propane-Regulator-and-Hose-2106/310727271

It says it is rated for 1 PSI. However, every indication is that it is for use on any regular grill and feedback/reviews seem to confirm that. When I used it on my Q200, the grill temps did increase significantly. I used to struggle to get over 400, but now it goes up to 600 pretty quick and even on low will settle at about 400. It doesn't look like the flames are all that much bigger though and not like flame throwers any way. I love the way it runs now. I would think that if it was running at over 2 times the flow rate, it would be a lot hotter.

Oddly Bruce they show a photo of using it on a high pressure gas burner on a fryer. So it seems even they don't know fully what they're selling, if it's safe and or suitable for TRUE low pressure applications or not. All of the LP regulators I possess show 11"WC not 1 PSI which is well over twice as high as 11" WC. Seems there may be an actual crisis looming here of people getting what they THINK is a safe regulator and they're not. Large LP burners as in heaters, and fryer burners use much higher pressure and flow. Another giveaway is look at the opening where it screws into the tank. On a grill regulator that fitting is typically only a "pinhole" but if you look at the regulator for a fryer or heater the fitting as a much larger (nearly 2mm) hole in it.

Hey Bruce......check out the reviews in that link u sent. The one guy said my grill shot up to 900 degrees! Another guys said " blow torch! " ......and on and on. This is my point.....the retailers have to get more responsible selling these products to home owners. The ad basically says hey guys come buy this great new regulator....it will be fine...u have nothing to worry about. If a regular harry homeowner turned their cheap *** grill up on high and left it alone to heat up w this reg on it and say a full grease trey.........bad things could happen!

The regulator assembly consists of a bunch of off the shelf parts assembled together by a manufacturer and marketed as a single product. The hose is one of those off the shelf parts and is not specific to bbq grill regulator assemblies. The 1" wc rating on the hose is the max rating of the hose, and not necessarily what it's being used for. What you need to do is look up the rating of the regulator itself. I believe if you look up Type 698, it will come up as a 11"wc regulator.

BTW, whatever you buy, it is important to get one that has proper safety certication marks. This means the product has been through very extensive testing in a lab to ensure it complies with your country's gas safety standards. I'm not in the US, but I believe in the USA gas products need to be certified to UL gas safety standards. Be warned that many random cheap regs on Amazon aren't certified. So what you need is something with the right rating for your application and is also certified go gas safety standards.

Last edited:
A Lee is correct on the regulator as Type 698 is what normally the grills would use and as stated the rating for that regulator is 11" WC. The hose is rated all of them I have seen for grills at 1 PSIG at least the three Webers I did as well as a replacement regulator I bought. Both regulators that Jim showed in the pictures say Type 698 and here is the definition of PSIG if anyone cares.

Pounds per square in gauge, or psig, is a measure of pressure—but only a measurement of gauge pressure. This means that it is measured with respect to the atmospheric pressure.[1] The unit to measure psig is psi.

https://www.ereplacementparts.com/hose-and-regulator-assembly-p-1476540.html which you can see the spec is 698.

Also on the hose it should say UL 569 which is the standard for the hoses. Of course if its some knockoff no clue either whether its been tested to UL US Standards.

Last edited:
Just wanted to give A Lee the proper credit for the Type 698 that was not me who came up with that as soon as I saw the post like I usually do started surfing all over the place and verified that our grills probably most grills use Type 698 so hopefully down the road when someone who is looking for a regulator we have a definitive answer if it ain't Type 698 don't buy it.

Thanks for all of the replies.....good info here......Each little bit of correct knowledge will eventually get me to where I have all of my beans in one jar and no further questions regarding proppa grill repair. I mean anyone can do this hobby but very few do it correctly. Just watch the vids on youtube :( I see people spray painting the insides of cook boxes and all kinds of bafoonery.

Following up on this. I recently posted a thread about issues with a burner flaming out and cleaning the gas valves, in which I cleaned the valves and changed out a knock-off regulator for a "weber" branded one and my problems have gone away. I wish I had read this before, I had also noticed with the non-weber regulator that I could really hear the tank singing and my grill would get excruciatingly hot, too the point where I thought it was dangerous. I just associated it with having the lid closed too long during the pre-heat and a full grid of Grill Grates. But after reading this thread, I really am thinking the regulator was just letting way too much gas through.

I'm going to try and read the markings off the old one when I get home.

I can see some SLIGHT variation or tolerance differences between regulators but not enough to make a huge difference. If someone sees a huge difference than either A, they bought the wrong type of regulator (since there are applications with LP that require higher than 11"WC and higher flow) or B, they got a bad one

Attached are pics of both. Not too much information. The ZHEN DAR one is the non-weber brand. The only real information I could see is that there was a sticker on the ZHEN DAR that indicated Max PSI 1, but I couldn't find a similar sticker on the other one. That and the tank fitting and hose appeared to use opposite ports on the regulator. The Weber tank fitting comes out the side with hose in the center, ZHEN DAR had tank fitting in the center and hose out the side.

It is quite possible that it is all in my head and the combination of cleaning burner tubes, cleaning valves, and adjusting vent screens solved the problem and the regulators were fine. Only real info I have is my subjective anecdotal observations. Rear burner stays lit now no problems and the tank doesn't "sing" as much as it used to on full blast.

Either way, I'm happy with how it is working and will leave it alone for now. But definitely made me reconsider that $10 savings on the knock-off parts.

Edit: fixed a duplicate sentence.

Attachments

• 20210308_174359.jpg
    20210308_174359.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 20210308_174408.jpg
    20210308_174408.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
So for reference 1 psi is = 27" WC. No wonder your "tank was singing"! 11" WC is just about .4 psi FWIW

LM,

Thanks, yeah I wish I could have found a similar sticker on the UL one. I did feel I went through gas a lot quicker before the swap. Haven't used the grill a ton with the new reg, and weather has warmed up. But I did feel the other one went through a new tank real fast. And I've had the grill get hot before, but never as hot as it had been recently. I could see / smell smoke coming out the holes in the cookbox where the burner tubes fit.

At least I now have a spare reg for my camp chef 2-burner or turkey fryer.

Back