Calling all salt experts

I like everything in my rub to be uniform in size.

When I put salt on a steak or anything else, I do use Kosher (or Kosher-style) salt; I really like the crunchy texture of it and I think even the way the flavor is released onto the tongue is cool....more slow and even instead of all at once.

I prefer kosher for a couple of reasons. I like the bigger crystals and I feel they "stick" to meat better. I also like the way it mixes with brown sugar in the rub. (Probably something to do with kosher's moisture content). Flavor-wise, I don't think I can tell a difference.

Plus I love the irony of using kosher salt on pork.

John

If you are frustrated with trying to remember the different proportions of salt vs. kosher salt, etc. You can use any kind of salt you wish if you measure your salt by weight. 3 ounces of salt is the same as 3 ounces of kosher salt, which is the same as 3 ounces of pickling salt, etc...

I always go with Kosher salt for cooking. The large flakes are more intense in flavor and I think you can get away with using less than other kinds of salt. Handy if you are minding your sodium.

Steve, I prefer Kosher, but there is nothing wrong with using a table grind salt. Some people think they can taste iodine, so you might want to use non-iodized salt. Personally, I can't tell the difference by the time it's mixed with a bunch of other ingredients, smoke, and meat juices. Don't stress out, use what you have avaialbe, and everything will be fine.

Now if I were competing, I'd experiment with different salts, including expensive stuff like fleur de sel or hawaiian red sea salt, but that's in competitions where you are looking for that last little edge to beat the best. But for normal home BBQ, use whatever you want.

Before my son became an Emeril wannabe, we used to have nothing but regular table salt around the house. After watching too much foodTV, my son started keeping a little bowl of kosher by the stovetop (to do the 'bam' thing with) and defended its existence by saying that the kosher salt had a more tactile feel to it when it was necessary to add a pinch of salt. Says the little grains of the table salt are'nt as cook friendly when figuring 'a pinch'.

Took over a year for that boy to figure out that dad didn't enjoy salt in his coffee before he stopped setting out those bowls of salt.

From what doctors have told me, if one eats shellfish semi-regularly, you get all the iodine you need. If you never eat shellfish, buy iodized salt. FWIW.

Back