Call me stupid or am I smoking spare ribs?

Josh Z.

TVWBB Pro
I've looked on charts and it seems to me that I'd have spare ribs on my hands. I bought a pork belly slab that the butcher removed the ribs from and he put the ribs in the package. They look like spare ribs, but they aren't as meaty as spare ribs I've bought, but they are the same shape.

Just curious. I'm smoking them right now. They've been on the smoker for 4 hours so I'll be checking them soon.

Thanks,
Josh

What ever they were they were good. Took about 5 hours to finish.

I'm still interested in finding out exactly what kinda ribs I just ate! What ever they were they cost 1.99 (the cost of fresh pork bellies) and came on the backside of my pork bellies that I bought.

Thank you for any info you can provide me
icon_biggrin.gif

Josh

You just ate spares and at 5 hours I'm guessing the were on the nicely smaller end of the size spectrum. I get bellies bone-in as well. Babybacks, aka loin backs, come from the loin (from which chops are cut) and are the vertabrae section of the loin.

Kevin,

indeed they were a bit smaller than spares that I've bought as spares since they slab fit across the grate just fine. They also didn't have a ton of meat on them. I'm guessing since I wanted bellies the butcher just cut them close to the ribs and gave me more meat on the bellies slab. This is indeed fine with me. There was very little meat covering the bones and had the ammount closer to baby backs instead of spares. 5 hours did them perfectly.

Thanks for verifying my thoughts.

Josh

Hey Josh
I was having trouble finding ribs with decent coverage over here (UK). The butcher told me that generally ribs are byproduct of makin bacon, and most bacon makers will cut as close to the bones to maximize yield. So I bought a pork belly slab and cut my own with the coverage I wanted. It was a bit expensive but I ended up with some nice pork belly as well.

Back