California > Calistoga: Buster's Original Southern BBQ

Looks good! Were the sauce and beans more savory than sweet? Or the other way around? How smoky were the ribs?

If you need help with the answers, I'm available for a consulting gig...$200/day plus expenses.;)

Last edited:
It's the wrong time of year for a 4200-mile road trip, but that's an awfully tempting invitation. You won't mind if I order a little extra for the drive home?;)

I visited Buster's Southern Barbecue in Calistoga, CA on a rainy Saturday in March 2024. It's an interesting rustic venue at the north end of Napa Valley Wine Country, with an enclosed seating area in front, a separate kitchen building in the middle, and an outdoor space in the back for eating and live music during better weather. The pit is a custom Santa Maria style stainless steel tub with a hydraulic lift cooking grate sitting off to one side of the parking lot close to the street, so passing cars can see and smell the smoke from the oak wood fire used to cook the barbecue as well as oysters on weekends.

I ordered a pulled pork sandwich with baked beans and a tri-tip sandwich with chili beans. Both sammies were served on a soft toasted garlic buttered roll with your choice of mild or hot barbecue sauce...you are warned at the order counter that the hot sauce if VERY hot! Once you place your order, you step to the right to pay at the register and receive your food. Service is very fast and food is sliced, prepared, and plated right before your eyes.

I tried the pulled pork sandwich first and devoured the whole thing. The pork was kept in a deep pot with a lot of liquid, some of it making its way onto the roll and sogging it out. But it was a very generous portion of meat and was tasty and I easily put it away. The mild sauce was a bit sweet and a bit savory with hints of onion, lemon juice, and peppers. A staff member told me the barbecue style here is Louisiana style and that the sauce reflects that locale. The baked beans were fine, sweet and tasty, but not memorable.

I then tried the tri-tip sandwich and finished half of it, served with the same roll and sauce. Some of the most tender tri-tip I've had in a long time, sliced to order from what appeared to be fairly small tri-tip roasts. The side of chili beans were not my favorite, I'd recommend the baked beans instead.

Finally, I ordered a few hot links that I tried later at home. Very tasty, very hot but not punishingly so. I'd try them again. My only complaint was that the links were cut lengthwise into thirds, which seemed weird. I would have preferred them whole.

Busters serves sandwiches with one side, plate dinners with two sides, and combination plates with two sides. Other meats include pork ribs, beef ribs, chicken, and pork loin. Other sides include mac salad, potato salad, Cole slaw, 3-bean salad, cornbread, and garlic toast. Handmade pies and cookies are available for dessert.

Here are some photos from my visit. Enjoy!

IMG_2942.JPG

IMG_2943.JPG

IMG_2916.JPG

IMG_2917.JPG

IMG_2940.JPG

IMG_2922.JPG

IMG_2918.JPG

IMG_2926.JPG

IMG_2927.JPG

IMG_2929.JPG

IMG_2932.JPG

IMG_2934.JPG

IMG_2933.JPG

IMG_2941.JPG

IMG_2936.JPG

I ate there last summer.
It was nice, nothing over the top but I missed the live music which would have made it a lot better.

The pulled pork was bland, soaked the bun which fell apart into a mess and that really didn’t do it for me.
I think I will try another item next time.

For what it’s worth, I think the venue is really nice.
It’s country style and I like that.
It has a nice outdoor seating area, a nice bbq area and a stage for entertainment.

We spend several days in the valley each summer so I’ll try to plan a live music meal this year.

Back