Calamari

LMichaels

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
Every Christmas Eve we try to keep some form of the old Italian tradition alive (Feast of Seven Fishes). That has always included fried calamari. This year with all the issues facing many of us, we have decided to forego fried and try grilling. We will be doing it at my dad's and he's got of course his old Genesis 2000/3000 conversion. I have RCP grates on his grill. Have never grilled it before. Planning on giving it a test run at my house. Anyone actually done it?
Was also thinking perhaps my Q320 with those stainless plate grates might be better. Or perhaps simply bringing the grates from it and throwing them on dad's Genesis. Just curious if anyone has actually done it.
Plan is to grill it hot (full speed hot), than toss/dress it with some VERY high quality estate bottled olive oil, some very high quality balsamic from Modena as well, salt, maybe a touch of pepper or a light dust of cayenne, chopped parsley and maybe even a little panko bread crumbs.
So would like to hear anyone actually having results. Otherwise either tonight or tomorrow I will fire up both the Genesis and my Q320 and do a test run. I will report back good or bad with photos

I have never made that, nor eaten it....At least I don't think I have. Anyway, I see some interesting recipies online with a search for "Grilled Calamari". So it sounds like it is a thing. I won't post any links, but unless someone here has done it, you might check some of those out. I am sure one will be close to what you are looking to do with it.

Well I decided to do some test flying yesterday. I tried on both the Q320 and the Genesis. Have to say I was not bowled over with the tastes of grilled calamari. It's "ok" but really left me "meh". I found so far the best thing was leave the tubes whole, toss lightly with olive oil or grapeseed oil, drop from max heat to a more moderate heat and slightly increase the cook time, than toss the cooked product with a truly good extra virgin olive oil (I tried an estate bottled one from CA and another from Greece both truly outstanding), a generous squeeze of lemon, chopped parsley, salt and a touch of Old Bay seasoning.
I also found flavor and texture was better if I used a griddle instead of on the grill over flame. So I have quite the dilemma ahead. I may experiment more today but I have to say it's one time I have truly been disappointed

LOL, I just noticed a bag of squid the freezer. My wife must have bought it. I am looking forward to more updates.
Thanks.

Larry, I don't have anything to add that will help you here, but I am interested in following this to see if you come up with a good grilling method. I've made calamari a few times, always fried, and they are good, but I'm just not a fan of the whole frying thing (not so much for health reasons, but mostly for cleanup reasons!) :) I had a chef tell me once that the key to tender squid is you either cook it three minutes or less, or 3 hours or more....in between is tire rubber! I know that's an exaggeration, but there's a modicum of truth there too! :)

Hope you get this sorted for your Xmas feast, and share back!

R

I've made calamari a few times, always fried, and they are good, but I'm just not a fan of the whole frying thing (not so much for health reasons, but mostly for cleanup reasons!)

R
For those that have the side burner grills, this might be a good use for it.

I am going to try a different approach. I am going to make it as a "salad" so to speak. I will quickly grill it whole. Than pull it and slice it into the rings that look familiar. I will then dress it with very good EVOO, parsley, lemon juice, capers, kalamata and Italian dried black olives and a bit of sea salt. I still have not made my mind up if I will grill it (open flame on dad's Genesis) or put it on the griddle (perhaps bringing my Lodge dual side dual burner griddle). Right now I am a little calamaried out LOL

Well last night I experimented again. Had been working my mind over time on this. So whole on what lately seems to be my daily trips to Costco LOL, I started to develop a flavor profile in my mind. Very high quality olive oil, lemon, parsley, a hint of thyme, and the list kept growing, kalamata olives, dried black Italian olives, capers. Then could it be the grilling methods? So I decided to try the tubes cooked 2 ways in my new "concoction" to eliminate the grilling method as an "issue". Stopped at Valli to finish my list. The capers, the dried black olives.
Got home didn't even put the groceries away. Fired up the Genesis and got out my smaller Lodge single burner flat griddle. Got it on the heat. When both were ripping away I put a couple tubes and legs on the griddle, and the same on the Genesis. After a quick flash very hot grilling/griddling I sliced them into the small familiar rings. While still warm, got them into a bowl, and hit them with the estate bottled CA EVOO, some lemon, chopped parsley, a pinch of kosher salt, a couple chopped Italian olives, kalamat olives, some capers, a VERY tiny grind of black pepper and the tiniest pinch of thyme. It was almost like the heavens had opened, and Jesus came down to me and guided my hands and senses (or who knows maybe it was my mom I think she wields as much power up there LOL). Anyway I let it sit a bit, wife and I tried it. YES!!!! The angels were singing. I had done it! Now the only experiment remaining is can I make it all today and simply bring it tomorrow rather than trying to grill it outside in the -10 windchills they're predicting for us Thursday. I will report that back later today. BTW both cooking methods were great! So I think I will grill them outdoors on the Genesis and take advantage of the warmer weather today. It was such a relief

Sounds to my like you hit a home run with your combination of seasonings and condiments on the calamari. Making it ahead of time and keeping that same flavor profile might be another matter. I think I would just put on a heavier jacket on Thursday. Good luck in whatever way you go.

Sounds to my like you hit a home run with your combination of seasonings and condiments on the calamari. Making it ahead of time and keeping that same flavor profile might be another matter. I think I would just put on a heavier jacket on Thursday. Good luck in whatever way you go.
I am going to taste what I purposely left last night after sitting in fridge. If I still hear angels singing I will make it today where I can be more relaxed and be of more help on the inside cooking tomorrow. I will report back later today

Yep I laid my big cast iron Lodge across the back of the Genesis for the first batch and did all the tentacles on that. Just got it screaming hot left all burners ripping on high, pegged the lid thermo and even the lid was changing color LOL. I laid on the tentacles on the griddle and some of the tubes on the grates. Everything was so hot they did not sizzle they "squeaked" when I put everything on. Did the tubes 2 min per side and off. Sliced into rings and dressed them while still warm. Outstanding. 1608766016781.png

Waverly Rd Arlington Heights IL. Menu, smoked salmon, grilled calamari, lobster tails grilled on the shell served with drawn Kerrygold butter, Mussels in a spicy white wine sauce over tagliatelle
You'll know the house..........................the one with me freezin my a$$ off in the garage grilling lobster and the delicious smells coming from the exhaust fan exit on the side of the house LOL
I'll try and shoot some photos.
I know it's supposed to be the "Feast of Seven Fishes" or Festa dei sette pesci
But this year has not exactly brought out the "feast" mode in so many of us so it will be the Feast of 4 Fishes or Festa dei quatro pesci
At least we're trying.....................

Back