Cajun Bandit Rotisserie vs Weber for Performer

IMHO I prefer a 50lb rated AC powered motor for a rotisserie.

I like CB gear.

I would just pick up another 50lb rated motor for AC use, they are pretty cheap.

It allows elimination of fooling with counter balance and weights. I hate them, so I'm definitely biased. I think they are a waste. Go ahead, fiddle - but in the end you will never have enough counter weights to add or even rod lenght to slide them on when you move up to serious sized rotisserie cooks (and I'm just talking about our style and level of use). Works OK for a single chicken or so but as the load moves up you might as well toss the counter balance across the lawn and just grill.

The battery driven models are limited to 25lb at best. So to eliminate counter weights you would need to keep loads down to around 15lb or less. They are basically light duty IMHO. There's nothing wrong with that, its just about fitting the right tool for the job at hand.

It's more about ability of the motor to deal with out of balance loads as much as it is about weight capacity.

A 50lb/AC motor is just so much stronger (torque) and can handle most anything I've loaded up.

If I would change anything I would go with heaver AC motor
icon_smile.gif
But frankly haven't hit a limitation yet. I've done 20lb tukeys, multiple chickens at a pop, several ducks at a time, standing rib roasts, huge turkey breasts, two legs of lamb, etc.

I have EZ-Q gear and cages, but the principal still applies.

The CB ring and bracket for the motor appears to be able to handle more weight. That's key as you up size the motor.

IMHO the Weber systems is totaly built around a 25 weight limitation. Just adding a higher rated motor and loading on a 25lb higher load could cause enough flex in the bracket/ring to create some problems.

I think the CB system can handle a heavier rated motor and load. Best to talk to them live.

Battery is convenient. Not knocking it - but the limitations are inherent.

The thing I liked about EZ-Q when they were in business is they gave you options for the motor and could take you up to 100 lbs ratings or so as options for the kit.

Haven't looked lately but I thought CB was doing this as well.

Adding a 50lb rated motor and keeping loads to 25 lb shouldn't create a problem with CB gear IMHO. It gives you the torque to eliminate the BS around counter weighting. If you think you are going to go to actual loads of 35lb or higher would give them a call to talk about impact on flex of the ring and stress on the motor bracket is all I'm saying. With the EZ-Q set up none of this created a problem.

By the way - I had a battery powered rotisserie system with counter weights that I used for many years before going to EZ-Que. So I did go through the pain of the lighter systems and counterweight stuff. Never going back to that.

HTH

Originally posted by Jim Lampe:
well, the plan is two racks of baby backs... butt i'll try to figure out how to "attach" them to the spit.
One rack would be EZ to weave... butt two..
icon_confused.gif
IMG_2225.jpg

We'll see.
Butt definitely baby backs.

Get the Rib-O-Lator and you will never look back!
IMG_1645_1.jpg

One thing you will notice using any motor with the Cajun Bandit ring is how secure the motor mount is. Especially if you have a cradle system.

Another thing that I did to mine was to notch the spit end opposite the motor mount. Like the EZ-Que ring it now has 2 U shaped cut outs - no more threading the spit rod through the hole, a must if you have a Rib-O-Lator, and it just makes the ring easier to use. Did the same to my Weber ring.

Scored a weber roti for $10 off CL.

Can't wait to try it out. The box is cool too.

utf-8BSU1HMDE5NzItMjAxMTEyMDMtMTUwNi5qcGc.jpg

Installed.
utf-8BSU1HMDE5NzMtMjAxMTEyMDMtMTUwOS5qcGc.jpg

Works on the platinum.
utf-8BSU1HMDE5NzctMjAxMTEyMDMtMTUzOS5qcGc.jpg

This is gonna be a fun and delicious doo-dad to figure out.

Well on my first cook I was just figuring out how to set-up the charcoal, figuring out where the temps settle in at, and how the counter balance thing-a-mojig works.

I don't have weber charcoal baskets (yet) so I just banked coals on each side and set a foil pan of water directly underneath. Temps were running between 325-350 even with the bottom vents all the way shut.

So I cooked some Hurry Up and EET Lampe Beef Ribs mopping with steven raichlan's (sp?) Carolina mop sauce. It took them about 3 hours maybe just under and they were awesome!
utf-8BSU1HMDE5NzgtMjAxMTEyMDMtMTgwNS5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDE5ODEtMjAxMTEyMDMtMTk0OC5qcGc.jpg

Looking forward to figuring out how to truss and skewer a bird tomorrow night.
icon_biggrin.gif

I don't like the Weber roti or any other system that has screw on brackets for the motor. It's inherently weaker design than say EZ-Q ring or CB. It works fine for lighter duty motors and lighter loads though, so it fits the "most common use" scenario.

Not knocking it just making an important differentiation.

The ribolator in my opinion DOES NOT replace a good heavier duty rotisserie system. You need both. I have both the EZ-Q system and the Ribolator. You can't load two legs of lamb or a turkey on a Ribolator. Two different tools, both are excellent for the intended purpose.

JMHO

Originally posted by r benash:
I don't like the Weber roti or any other system that has screw on brackets for the motor. It's inherently weaker design than say EZ-Q ring or CB. It works fine for lighter duty motors and lighter loads though, so it fits the "most common use" scenario.

Not knocking it just making an important differentiation.

The ribolator in my opinion DOES NOT replace a good heavier duty rotisserie system. You need both. I have both the EZ-Q system and the Ribolator. You can't load two legs of lamb or a turkey on a Ribolator. Two different tools, both are excellent for the intended purpose.

JMHO

I'm not sure what you are talking about Ray?

The EZ-Que and Weber rings both use the same motor mount brackets. Is it the mounting bracket on the motors themselves you are referring to?

IMG_1362.jpg

Here is my Weber ring w/Weber motor on the Cajun Bandit (L) and my 22"WSM modified rotisserie (R)

IMG_1637_1.jpg

Cajun Bandit mount on a Drum Smoker and WSM

IMG_3088.jpg

IMG_4358.jpg

IMG_1328.jpg

IMG_4006.jpg

IMG_4005.jpg

Am I missing something??

IMG_2337.jpg

Kebab-O-Lator!

I have not had any problem with any of the rotis motors in any of my setups. If I were to do a 14 lb Turkey or 10 lb Rib roast I would likely use the EZ-Que motor, but who is able to fit any more meat than that 25 lbs on a spit designed for a 22" kettle anyway??

Brian, do you have TWO motor mount brackets on your CB ring?
IMG_4358.jpg

I see this one is upside down (for kettle use)

Jim,

I ordered another bracket and hardware after I got my ring so I could go either way without swapping it around. Should of thought to tell you when I seen you were ordering the ring, whoops
icon_frown.gif

Originally posted by Jim Lampe:
Brian, do you have TWO motor mount brackets on your CB ring?
IMG_4358.jpg

I see this one is upside down (for kettle use)

Good eye Jim!! Yes I do have 2 mounting brackets, I use it on my Drum Smoker and it has the soon to be patented "swamprb UDS kettle Flange Mod"
100_1640.jpg

100_1644.jpg

I take the lip off the kettle bottom and it sits on the top of my Drum for the rotis rings and Weber lid, or I can remove it and use the drum lid. I like the way it fits with the Cajun Bandit ring.
IMG_3086.jpg

that's pretty slick Brian!
yeah, I'm gonna try making another one.
sent an email to chris at CB and he said the cost is 1150 plus that amount for shipping.
well, 11-12 bucks i'd spend on the bracket butt screw the shipping cost. That's crazy talk.
I'll just take it off and measure it up and come up with something.
Ain't gonna mess around unscrewing the dang thing everytime i wanna flip it.
Thanks Brian.
Looking forward to receiving the Rib0lator
icon_biggrin.gif

Brian - you aren't missing anything.

Brain fart/oversight on my part. My motor mount on the EZ-Q ring is bolt up. I was thinking of a previous roti system, mount I used to have during my reply.

Apologies, thanks for keeping me honest.

i just wanted to chime in. i've done a 30 turducken on my battery powered rotisserie motor.

it had absolutely no problem whatsoever.

the food ended up sucking - but it certainly wasn't because the motor was underpowered.

Originally posted by TroyRedington:
i just wanted to chime in. i've done a 30 turducken on my battery powered rotisserie motor.

it had absolutely no problem whatsoever.

the food ended up sucking - but it certainly wasn't because the motor was underpowered.

Hey Troy - u the man. A 30lb turducken? Awesome. On a battery drive rottis motor? Even better. Kudos to you. Which motor and what was the rating?

A turducken though would have much more evenly distributed weight I believe, so out of balance loading would be less of an issue.

Did you use that battery drive motor without counter weighting? Did you do the entire cook on the rotisserie or pull and finish elsewhere.

If you were using a battery drive motor with a 30lb load without counter weights I'd like to know what system and the amount of counter weights if any you had to use.

Bottom line though is that a turducken implies a more/balanced load and should create less of an issue in theory, I.E need for counter balance or heavier motor.

30lb is huge though - did you have to change batteries? What was the duration of the cook while on the rotisserie?

How often do you cook with the battery motor with a load over 20lb?.

Solving a one off problem is one thing we all can get buy - heck in the end who needs a rotisserie even to get it "done" ?.

Doing routine cooks with heavy out of balance loads is another.

the motor was the battery driven motor that came with the cajun bandit, i believe it's supplied by onegrill.com?

it's rated to 25 pounds i think, i can check later.

It was decently balanced, i used the counterweight, but it wasn't quite heavy or long enough to take care of the balance.

i did the entire cook on the grill, but eventually the fire got too hot and the outside was overcooked (i was rushed, impatient, drunk)

i didn't need to change the batteries, but I don't remember how long the cook was (longer than i expected)

the biggest thing i've done since has been a normal sized turkey or a few chickens.

the biggest rib roasts i can afford still don't go much over 14 pounds

Is there a trick to getting two chickens on one spit? I don't have a middle metal piece. Is it better to wedge in a onion or tie them together or just smash em together or wing it? Any help!? Thanks!

Back