cajun bandit conversion kit

jeff jordan

TVWBB Member
Thinking about getting one of these for my 22" OTG Kettle & have done a little looking around for info (surprised I didn't see Youtube vids) but looking for some thoughts on those that have them. How is temp control/time of burns w/o using a guru of some kind? Worth the $ vs waiting on getting a WSM (in future plans for contests)? Quality/fit? Any other mods to make it work better other than guru? Do you put the charcoal inside the ring while that sits on the grate or on top of the weber charcoal grate w/ the ring under the grate, instructions on Cajun Bandit site showed that the ring goes under the charcoal grate but that didn't seem right to me ??? Other thoughts?

Thought about one, but decided it is too close in price to WSM. I also had a concern with temp control with out the bottom dampers like on wsm. I don't have one so take all this as just my thoughts, no experience.

Just used this for the first time last weekend. I bought it to use on 22" WSM for extra capacity which I believe you are considering also. I used it Sunday on my OTG, I set the charcoal ring on the charcoal grate, I put a foiled 16" clay saucer on the normal cooking grate to act as a heat shield and then I cooked a pork butt on the CB ring. The fit was excellent, no smoke leak to speak of. Was looking to try a HH butt so the fact that I ran at 350 for about 2 hours before having to refuel was ok. I have a different brand of extender for my 18" WSM, a pro q I think, and I can tell you that the quality of the Cajun Bandit product is miles ahead. I will be using the extender this weekend on the 22" WSM and can let you know how that goes but I don't expect any problem. I think you might want to check out a smokenator for the kettle instead, but if you're looking for extra capacity on your WSM I think this would be a good way to go.

Back