By far my favorite grill

Status
Not open for further replies.

J Boldt

TVWBB Super Fan
Through the benefit of craigslist I have had my hands on over 20 grills in the past year or so. I have had various sized kettles, gassers from Genesis silver B and C to a brief stint with an E-310. I have to say, my '07 Performer is by far my most prized. I bought it for $100 and it was literally used only twice. It was the reason why I could part with my E-310, I always used the performer. Here is the pic of my girl.
7436756964_850da7519a.jpg

I have pimped her out with a craycort system and a 1988 wood handle from a smokey Joe and some Weber Style utensils. I know a lot of folks here fancy the SS model but there is something about the way this model looks that I just love, not sure what it is.
Anyway, just thought I would share.

OK, so what do you love about the Performer vs. the Kettle?
I am interested in a Performer but I need to justify the additional cost. I do not mind using a chimney to start my coals.

What benefits does a Performer have that I should consider?

I am happy you love your grill so much!

My Performer replaced a hunk o' junk Charbroil gasser...what was I thinking?
Nice looking grill...even better considering the price!

My '09 performer is my number 1. I have four grills I cook on a very regular basis. The performer is the first one I go to. If I'm only using one grill it is the performer. Obviously it has the touch and go ignition system so I light the charcoal in it. It is the one I would keep if I had to get rid of every other one. Okay I'd keep the 26 too, but the performer is my favorite.

Originally posted by Richard S:
OK, so what do you love about the Performer vs. the Kettle?
I am interested in a Performer but I need to justify the additional cost. I do not mind using a chimney to start my coals.

What benefits does a Performer have that I should consider?

I am happy you love your grill so much!

Obviously, you are going to get the same great tasting food out of both. The table is very nice, I also like the charcoal storage. I got mine for $100 so cost was not an issue. One benefit for the kettle and the reason why I have one in addition to my performer is they are ultra portable, throw it in the back of the van and I am all set.

Originally posted by J Boldt:
Through the benefit of craigslist I have had my hands on over 20 grills in the past year or so. I have had various sized kettles, gassers from Genesis silver B and C to a brief stint with an E-310. I have to say, my '07 Performer is by far my most prized. I bought it for $100 and it was literally used only twice. It was the reason why I could part with my E-310, I always used the performer. Here is the pic of my girl.
7436756964_850da7519a.jpg

I have pimped her out with a craycort system and a 1988 wood handle from a smokey Joe and some Weber Style utensils. I know a lot of folks here fancy the SS model but there is something about the way this model looks that I just love, not sure what it is.
Anyway, just thought I would share.

That is a very beautiful grill you got there. How much did it cost when you first bought it?

Richard,
Ultimately, there is no difference as far as the kettle is concerned...it's the bells and whistles....the table, the gas assist and the storage.
I like them all.
I use a chimney as well (I don't use the charcoal baskets)...but with gas assist there are no burning paper ashes floating all around...though there are numerous ways around that. (I'm lazy)
The work space offered by the table is a definate plus for me...
I also value the storage offered.
A regular kettle would do you just as well...but what are YOUR needs? The extra cost was worth it to me...I bought my Permormer for what it offered compared to what I needed and/or wanted. As mentioned above, my Performer replaced a horrible gasser that was given to me...good riddance. It was worth it to ME.
For an extra $20 I also bought a Brinkman hose adaptor to hook up the propane tank from my old gasser...it lasts forever.

Originally posted by Tim Y:
That's not J Boldt's, is it?
icon_wink.gif

Why get both?

Looks just like mine. Why have both? Why not?

Good luck 150 is in range for that grill. As I said I love mine.

That model is more than one year old but it is still in great shape, having both the kettle and the performer would be great when you have big grilling needs or you set one up with bricks to make a slow cooker setup, so you do not have convert all the time.
I love my performer, the work surface, the gas assit, storage are all, and a CL price all make it my favorite go to grill. Only reason to replace this one is if got one of a cool color.

I agree with you, J. I got a Crate and Barrel edition for $150 a few months ago and I LOVE it. Before I had a Performer I thought the gas assist must be a gimmick. IT AIN'T!! It is a huge helper. No, not essential at all, but let's face it, we all have indoor kitchens so none of this Weber awesomeness is essential.

Also, the work table and onboard storage are great. Yes, you can work around both of these things with extra furniture, but it's ONBOARD.

I'm in the market for another kettle for overflow on larger cooks, but you can't have my Performer. No way!! It is my go to grill.

Richard, A couple other things, the Performer stands taller (3 to 4 inch my guess) than the kettles, and having the slide aside lid has helped me with less chance of the lid getting damaged. Good luck in your pursuit of a performer. Let us know how you come out.

I started with an 18.5 ots, then a 22.5 ots, and now have the performer. It is the best grill I have ever used. I absolutely love it! In fact after seeing mine three of my buddies each picked one up within a week.

I use my Performer almost exclusively. My gasser has been out of gas for 18 months and I sold the Smokey Joe. The last extra kettle I have is for cooking at the neighborhood pool. Since I got the Smoke EZ smoker add on, I haven't used my WSM (not selling that, though).

I got it!
$100 even.
It looks a lot like J Boldt's.
The ignition button needs replacing but other than that it is in great shape. I used it tonight on some bone in skin on chicken thighs and they were spectacular.

Thanks for the help...

Richard my igintion quite once and it was just a loose connection, on my gasser I just cleaned the spark contacts I guess you would call them, but if it needs to be replaced they are only like 10 bucks. Great buy, is it as nice as J's anyway nice job on the buy. Green is good.

Richard, I post my photos to a photo hosting site, then get the URL of the photo and put it in the IMG button (third icon from the right)in the upper area when you are posting something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back