Buying smoke wood

If you can't find it for free, you should try to find a place locally. Shipping makes mail order wood expensive. I've found a True Value store that has a good outdoor cooking department. They have cherry and apple wood. Home Depot and others have hickory.

Call a few local tree trimmers and see if they'll call you when they cut down a fruit or nut tree. I like homeowner grown as apposed to the orchard wood mainly because I'm a little put off by the chemicals an orchard will use.

Dan,
I just bought apple chunks off the internet from doitbest.com. The 10# bag was 8 bucks and they deliver it to one of there affliated stores in your area so there is no charge for delivery. You just have to go to the store and pick it up. I thought it was a great deal.

I've been going to places that sell firewood. Most carry at least hickory and oak, and I've found a few that carry apple, cherry, etc.

$1/log. Kind of feel silly buying it like this, but 1 log covers alot of cooks.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">doitbest.com </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Brian,
Great tip with doitbest.com. I just checked their website and found 10# of apple and cherry for $8.50 and no shipping charge since they ship it right to their local partner store if they have one in your area. I was lucky and found that there is one only 9 miles away.

You all are right, the shipping charges can kill you and be as much as the wood.

Great find bud...thanks!

Wow - great advice all. I've got a DoItBest partner very close and they are a ship-to-store location. Hookstown is a good option, too, especially if I want to load up. I've done the hawgeyesbbq.com thing, but Jerry's right: the shipping kills it.

At this stage of my life, I tend to take the easy way out. I've ordered from Smokinlicious and have been satisfied. If you order from them, order the so called "double filet" size for the WSM.

Back