Buying commercial rubs and sauces

Aaron Legge

TVWBB Fan
Commercial rubs and sauces are not easy to come by up here in the Great White North, fortunately my folks are wintering in FL this year.

Can you buy good commercial rubs and sauces in standard grocery stores?

Any recommendations on things I should put on my wishlist?

The only commercial rub I've used so far is Dizzy Pig, and they're not in regular grocery stores as far as I know.
For sauces, I often use Sweet Baby Ray's as a base and doctor it as needed.

That said, dare to experient with your own concoctions!

It can be handy to have something on the shelf as a quick option, but I find most commercial sauces too sweet (though I do keep a bottle of "Bone Suckin' Sauce" handy), and a lot of rubs too salty. My guess is that most of the folks out here make their own rubs and at least doctor their sauces. There are some great books on it, as you probably know. Paul Kirk has a good book on "Championship Barbeque Sauces" (with lots of rubs). I just picked up Elizabthe Karmel's "Soaked, Slathered, and Seasoned," which also looks pretty good. And of course loads of recipes on this site. Enjoy!

Yes, you can buy commercial rubs and sauces that are decent.

Stubbs is a very good brand found in most grocery stores in the US. Check out their products - Stubbs' Rubs, Sauces, Marinades

There seems to be Wal-Marts in Halifax and the Wal-Marts here carry Stubbs as well.

Adams Extract makes a basic Brisket Rub that is also carried in Wal-Marts.

Of course, you can order excellent products online.

If your parents go as south as Key West, make them go to "peppers of key west" I don't order from them because they charge way too much for shipping but they have very good products. Especially the Khatsa Tibetan bbq sauce. It's an asian style sauce but mixed with a good "standard" rub, it's very good on ribs. I used to mix it with the "big Bubba rubba" rub but they don't seem to carry it anymore.

On there way back, any Hannaford grocery store on the East coast usually carry a good choice of bbq sauce and rubs. I usually get the Sweet baby rays sauce from them. Walmart or Target also have good sauces that are very cheap. Famous Dave's is my wife favorite.

Hope this help.

Normally I just make my own and to be honest I have purchased a couple mixes from members on line a couple times. Larry Wolfe is one of the members here that hooked me up! Aaron if you can get friends and family to pick some stuff for you that's great however you might wind up with some ones you don't like. I know my Mom is great for getting me rubs and BBQ sauces when she travels. Some have been great and others IMO we not worth the container they we in! I do appreciate the thought because we do not live close so it reminds me of her every time I use one! Good or bad lol.

As mentioned above making your own or having them shipped to you are probably your best options. I use Larry's rubs, some store bought ones here n there, ones I like that I have found on the net or just whip something up depending on what I'm making. I think the key to good sauces and rubs is having a basic base to start with and then tweak to your likings. I do this same thing when I make recipe's that might have to much pepper, salt, spice and what not. Some times I like to turn it down a notch if it is to spicy for me and the wife. Other times I might turn it up! Don't be afraid to try your own just make sure to go easy as you make what you like.

For rub, you save a lot of $$ by making your own, and a lot of the commercial rubs have MSG, which ya might not want. That being said, Dizzy Pig, Head Country, and especially Plowboys, have big followings, among others. I think that one of the Plowboy rubs might not have msg, but I might be thinking of another one altogether.

If you like thick and sticky K.C. style sauces, they're really easy to mix up, and I'd recommend Dr. BBQ's (aka Ray Lampe) recipe. The No. 5 sauce often mentioned here is bare bones and a great starting place, too, but not as thick or sticky.

Loose Lip Larry's is a pretty good S. Carolina mustard sauce w/ a kick. Head Country or Big Bob Gibson's (Red sauce) are good all around sauces....Stubbs for those who don't like it as sweet, Blues Hog reg (for those who do), Blues Hog Tn Red for a Lexington/Tn style sweet/spicy/vinegary pulled pork sauce, and mix the latter two for something that's good on everything. As much as I like they're sauces, I don't know what they were thinking when Blues Hog came up w/ their rub. It's pretty bland, w/ paprika being the first ingredient.

Bad Byron's Butt Rub seasonings Butt Rub should be readily available in Florida beings that's where it's made.

Dave I'm going to politely agree to disagree with you on the BH seasoning. I have a bunch of trophies that says it tastes just fine!
icon_smile.gif

I've found that my best raves come when I combine two commercial products, neither of which is marketed as a "rub."

The first is Goya Adobo (with pepper). It's available anywhere that there's a Latino population. (I use it in all kinds of cooking.)

The second is McCormick Poultry "Montreal Chicken Seasoning."

I usually put on the Montreal first (it's coarser), followed by a liberal sprinkling of Adobo.

This combination on Baby Backs or Spares brings top reviews. I usually can't convince people to even try a sauce! Good on butts too.

For brisket, I use Adobo plus Montreal Steak seasoning.

Jeff

Aaron, any luck finding any of these rubs in your local stores?

How about giving us a list of what you do find and we'll opine?

Now days I mix my own rubs but in the past I have used several store bought ones. If you are looking in the grocery stores for a decent rub I have always liked Pappy's.

Back