buying a side of beef to share... whats a good way to have it cut?

KrisDecker

TVWBB Member
Hi all,

I am arranging a purchase of a side of beef to share with 7 others (so 8, total). My most pressing question is what do folks recommend in terms of getting a Brisket? I want this cut, but one other buyer is hoping to get it as well-- I think I read that it can be split (flat & point?)... If I had to share this brisket, is that the 'optimal' way to do it?

Are there any other cuts that are best left intact for BBQ? maybe the tri-tip?

I will be asking the butcher to 'maximize sharing for 8 families', so I am trying to get a handle on what to leave whole, what can be shared if cut a certain way (like the brisket?) yet still be good for BBQ, etc. I know that I want the eye of round roast whole--or maybe cut in two, at the most :). We bought a hindquarters last year, so I kind of know what to expect for that quarter.

Thanks in advance for any advice :)
-K

I'd probably ask for the full packer to be split lengthwise so you both get flat and point, but having it split into flat and point is another good option, too. The best way to share the cuts overall is to split all the ground evenly then have a "draft" event where everyone takes turns selecting cuts, steaks, specialty items like tongue etc.

Although 1/16th isn't a huge amount of meat, you're probably only looking at about 25 lbs yield per family assuming 300 lbs hanging weight for the full side.

That is a good idea. My challenge is that my freezer (7 cu ft) will fit a quarter, dont think it will hold a half. So I need to have it distributed pretty much same day as delivery (its all cryo-frozen)

Good idea about the lenghwise split-- honestly, it hadnt occurred to me :)

I would also ask for the butcher to cut the ribs from the rib roast and leave a decent amount of meat on them.....in the store you will see beef ribs with very little meat on them (called shiners) since the rib roast gets the butcher more money per pound than the ribs.

Beef ribs are a fantastic indulgence if you haven't tried them yet.

Split halves are common around here. Basically the side is broken down so that there's hopefully an even number of each cut, and then each split gets one. Also, since you're in this with a larger number of people you might consider having the chuck broken down into steaks so that it goes around more evenly.

Have you verified that the side will come with the brisket and other belly cuts?

Back