Buy a Weber cover or no cover at all?

Jeff P.

I just purchased my One Touch Platinum a couple weeks ago and am wondering if most of you guys buy the premium Weber cover for your charcoal grills? Any insight would be great as to why or why not to cover it!

Jeff

I think you are asking two questions. First, should you cover your grill? My answer is absolutely unless you intend to roll it in and out of a covered storage area after every use. Second question is, if you are buying a cover, should be get a Weber OEM cover? From a fit standpoint, unless you are lucky or get one custom made, obviously, a Weber OEM cover is the best choice. Opinions differ on how well they hold up. I think a lot depends on where you are located and how much they are directly in the weather. Direct sun seems to be especially hard on them. I have Weber covers for all my grills except my Performer. Several of them are over 10 years old. I like them a lot and am thinking seriously about replacing the one I have for my performer with a Weber cover because I don't like they way it fits. I think the main reasons mine have held up so well is the Georgia climate and the fact that I have them sitting on a covered slab that used to house an RV by the previous owner.

Ive had my Weber for 11 years and never covered it. I used it along with my smoker all year round. I am in Kansas, so yes we get snow. Never had a problem yet.

Just bought a genuine Weber cover from Sears online. It snowed here in Indiana yesterday and it was hard to see my new grill covered in snow. :p

Jeff; I think that was a good move. I've tried it both ways and a cover will extend the life of your Weber or any grill if you store it outside in rain and snow. The Weber covers are more expensive than off brand or generic types, but are a better fit and well made. Good luck.

I chose to buy a Weber cover for my new performer. I know Webers are built to last but generally speaking most things do better and last longer when protected from the elements.

One thing I really like living in a snow climate, easy clean off. This weekend I went out to do some trout on cedar planks and there was some fresh snow on the grill from the night before. With the cover, just lift it off and your grill and work table etc.. are free of snow and water as is the stuff stored under my kettle like my grill brush, charcoal baskets, fire bricks. Just my 2 cents.

The little snow seen in the pic fell off the cover as I pulled it away of course.
47E18EDF-C221-4290-BDA9-CF40C88C6EE0-794-0000003715425E82.jpg

Last edited:
I keep mine covered and have on all my grills for yrs. It not only protects from the elements but from bird droppings, dust and especially sun fading over time. I don't have any snow here in NC like I did in upsate NY but it protected against that also. I did lift a cover off one night around 9:00 pm to do some quick burgers. I guess momma possum decided it was a good place to hide with her three babies on the lower shelf of the grill. heard the hiss and thought I pulled a gas line and got quite the surprise when I bent down. That has been the only one downside of a cover I have had...:)

I keep the WSM and Kettle on the deck and covered when not in use. ...just wish I had a cover for the mini wsm.

I'm a big fan of the premium weber covers. I believe I've had my current one for my performer for a little over 3 years and it is still in good shape.

I also had one for my 22.5" that I gave to a friend that is almost 5 years old, and it too is holding up well.

These covers are much more durable than most of those cheap plastic garbage covers you find in the department stores.

Oh and like the guy up above said, it is def. nice to be able to just rip the cover off and have a grill that isn't smothered in the white stuff!

I have a weber cover on my performer, and a cheapo on my S310, the weber is better in the winter more plyable, the cheapo is so stiff and it cracks very easy so it will never last I am going to order another weber for the S310 they are worth it.

Well I found one for my S310 on CL for a good price and it is in the mail.

Last edited:
All of my grills are under cover but except for the wsm they have covers. The weber cover will not go over my wsm after some mods, so it is on its own, unless I buy some of those extra large contractor trash bags, but I don't need a 100 of them. Since I live very close to the Atlantic I cover mine as much from the salt air as the weather................................d

Back