butts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reg Pelletier

well i'm doing two new things today , this is my first post here and more important is it's the first time doing three butts ( 28lbs ) on the WSM at one time . i put them on around 6:30 this morning and it should be a long day i'm sure . reg

I've two great big butts that will go on first thing in the morning. Let us know how yours turn out, Reg!

Kelly

You guys might be sorry you didn't do an overnighter. With big ol' butts at 2 hours per pound, you should have them done right around bedtime /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif . I always put big ones on before I go to bed and just leave them on until an hour or so before dinner time. That's the magic of the WSM: You can do a cook like this on one load of charcoal and with a minimum of fiddling with the cooker.

Good luck,
Steve

well it's been 7 hrs and the cooker running at 245 - 255 steady and i just moved the butts around , top to bottom and so on and was surprised to see the bottom one had a 168 internal already ! not exactly what i thought it would be with that volume of meat in there . just backing the temp down to around 220 hopefully . this is also the first time ever running without water in the pan . will try to drag out the next 15 degrees . reg

reg
The difference on the one butt could be fat content, if it higher than the other two it will
get to temp faster.
You are very welcome here, it may be a little tame compared to some of the other Forums /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
Jim

Steve, I think you're right. I think I'll do an overnighter tonight... it will be my first!

Kelly

morning all , just thought i'd let you know how everything went with the butts . total cooking time was 14 1/2 hrs , done to an internal temp of 185 degrees . i removed from the WSM and wrapped in foil ( after many taste tests , you know you have to make sure everything is ok lol ) then let them cool in my cold room . Sat morning i sliced all and put them into trays and added a light gravy to the bottom and delivered to my customer . along with the pork i sent along some smoked provolone and two dozen smoked deviled eggs . hope they like it all . reg

Did three butts last night, all about 5 lbs each,
put on about 10pm, put a polder in one, used a new maverick remote checking temp through the lid vent hole, maverick not accurate by 15 degrees.
Got up this morning about 7:30am, internals were about 210, wsm temp about 240, lots of coals left, a quart of water or so in the brinkman charcoal pan, pulled after about 1/2 hour, great stuff even if it ran a little hot.

Cleaned up stuff, putting on two bbacks and a tri-tip in a few minutes, dinner at 5:00pm. Got to catch a plane back to Oregon this evening, I love qing in the sun!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back