Butts over flat?

JimK

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I keep seeing flats at my local Harris Teeter. I don't thinkg they're a great deal ($3.99/lb), but they are always there; calling out to me. Usually in the 4 lb range. I've never done brisket before, but would like to give it a try. I'm doing at least one butt this weekend for Smoke Day already, then will probably throw on some BB's. 1) Should I bother at that price? 2) at my normal butt temps (225-250) how long can I expect to cook one? 3) at what temp and for how long should I foil? 4) would I be better off cooking the flat at the same time as the ribs?
Thanks!
Jim

Jim, $3.99 is what stores up here in the Northwest are trying to charge for Brisket, flat or whole. Crazy people. The only place I can get brisket at a decent price is Sams, $1.77 per pound. I just purchased a membership this week, just for brisket.

If you've never done a brisket, go for it. I get around 1 hour per pound in the 240 to 250 ish lid temp range. I don't foil until I remove it from the smoker at an internal temp of 180.

I'm curious about replies regarding doing a butt and brisket at the same time. I have the exact same delima for this weekend. I'm thinking of smoking the butt or brisket the day before. Most smoked meats are better the 2nd day in my opinion anyways.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JimK:
I keep seeing flats at my local Harris Teeter. I don't thinkg they're a great deal ($3.99/lb), but they are always there; calling out to me. Usually in the 4 lb range. I've never done brisket before, but would like to give it a try. I'm doing at least one butt this weekend for Smoke Day already, then will probably throw on some BB's. 1) Should I bother at that price? 2) at my normal butt temps (225-250) how long can I expect to cook one? 3) at what temp and for how long should I foil? 4) would I be better off cooking the flat at the same time as the ribs?
Thanks!
Jim </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jim,
I see you live in N.Va, so you should have a BJ's or Sams close to you. Even check your Super Wal Marts, they have select packers and they're dirt cheap and cook great! Sams always has great prices on briskets, both whole and flats. I belong to BJ's because they're convenient for me, but they only sell flats and they run about $3.49lb. But....the difference in getting the briskets from either Sams or BJ's is they will more than likely be much bettet than the ones you will get from Harris Teeter because they will be untrimmed, still in the Cryovac and you will be able to find much bigger briskets. Grocery stores get the briskets just like you'd buy them from a wholesale store, but they take them out of the cryovac and trim all the fat!!
icon_frown.gif
BJ's generally has flats out in the case from 4-6lbs, but they ALWAYS have bigger ones in the back if you ask.

Now, to cooking a brisket and butt at the same time. Your normal butt temps are fine for cooking a brisket. I would put the butt on the bottom grate and the brisket on the top. The butt will average about 2hrs per lb and the brisket between 1-1.5hr lb, so the brisket will finish first and with it being on the top grate it will be much easier to remove versus having to move the butt out of the way. Some folks say the butt over the brisket helps baste, but I don't think it adds much if anything at all.

Here's how I would cook the brisket along with the butt. First, don't trim any fat until the brisket is cooked and you're ready to slice. Cook fat side up until you get an internal temp of around 165º, then wrap in foil and continue to cook until tender, generally between 190º-195º (could happen sooner or later), but temps are a guide, not a rule. When you insert a probe or fork it should go in with little resistance. Once the brisket is tender, let it rest in a cooler while the butt finishes cooking. Then open the foil and let the brisket rest and cool for at least 15 minutes before slicing. You're asking for a dry brisket if you cut it while it's screaming hot.

Good luck!!

Thanks to both of you.

Larry: No Sam's or BJ's membership.
icon_frown.gif
These flats were in Cryo and appear to still have the fat on them. Based on your input, the timing on this cook just might be about perfect. I can put the butt on overnight on Friday, throw the flat on very early morning and it'll be ready for lunch. When the butt comes off, I'll be able to refill the charcoal, and throw my ribs on.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JimK:
Thanks to both of you.

Larry: No Sam's or BJ's membership.
icon_frown.gif
These flats were in Cryo and appear to still have the fat on them. Based on your input, the timing on this cook just might be about perfect. I can put the butt on overnight on Friday, throw the flat on very early morning and it'll be ready for lunch. When the butt comes off, I'll be able to refill the charcoal, and throw my ribs on.
wsmsmile8gm.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Really?? WOW, I pass by a Harris Teeter on my way home from work, I may just have to stop!

You know, I notice Giant food has been carrying fresh (non enhanced) ribs in the cryovac too, I hope this is a trend (now that you mention HT has the briskets in cryovac) that the grocery stores continue.

BTW, Giant has spares on sale starting tomorrow for $1.99lb. I got these a couple weeks ago, they were swift brand if I recall correctly and they were great.

Larry: They were just the flat though, not whole brisket. I usually go to the HT in Bristow. Every time I've been there the last month or two, the flats have been in stock.

I'll have to stop by Giant. That's a great deal. HT carries the Smithfield "self basting" BB's on a regular basis. I'd rather have the non-enhanced. Thanks for letting me know.

Larry: They were just the flat though, not whole brisket. I usually go to the HT in Bristow. Every time I've been there the last month or two, the flats have been in stock.

I'll have to stop by Giant. That's a great deal. HT carries the Smithfield "self basting" BB's on a regular basis. I'd rather have the non-enhanced. Thanks for letting me know. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well if I go home 28, I pass the one in Bristow! If I go 29 I pass the one in Gainesville, so I'm good to go!!

i keep hearing about packers at sam's, but have yet to see one. i guess i should ask one of the meat guys next time i'm there. my 7# flat from sam's was 2.49/lb last weekend.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tony C.:
i keep hearing about packers at sam's, but have yet to see one. i guess i should ask one of the meat guys next time i'm there. my 7# flat from sam's was 2.49/lb last weekend. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's a fantastic price for a flat!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Clay Cope:
Jim, $3.99 is what stores up here in the Northwest are trying to charge for Brisket, flat or whole. Crazy people. The only place I can get brisket at a decent price is Sams, $1.77 per pound. I just purchased a membership this week, just for brisket.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Clay,
Keep and eye out at Fred Meyer, I found a couple nice flats for about two bucks a pound. Also check out Cash and Carry in Tukwila, they have whole briskets for about 2 bucks a pound.

(Sorry, didn't mean to hijack this thread)
Steve

Larry: Stopped by the Giant in Gainesville tonight and grabbed a couple racks of spares. $1.99 is a great price. Thanks for the tip. I also noticed they had full briskets there in Cryo.

Back